URGENT PLEASE HELP... babies loosing fur on heads

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
Our 7-1/2 week old Holland lops are scheduled to go to their new homes THIS SATURDAY (4 days from now). Tonight we noticed that 4 of 7 of them are loosing the fur on their foreheads!!! They were perfectly fine this morning.

What could this be and how do we remedy it ASAP!!!! We have families that have already paid for their bunny.

We have a ceramic smooth edge dog bowl in the cage for them to eat from. There is nothing sharp in the cage that they could be rubbing their heads on.

We have a total of 21 rabbits in our rabbitry, which is in our 2 car attached garage. We live in Michigan and the garage has air conditioning (new this year). None of our other rabbits have this issue, including the doe from this litter. There have been no new rabbits in our out of our rabbitry.

Upon further looking at the 7 babies - 3 look like in the picture, 1 is starting to loose it's hair, and the other 3 are fine (at this moment).

I have moved the 3 that are fine into their own cage and into our house away from the others.

What could this be??? How do we fix it ASAP? Will the hair grow back?

PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Head_resize.jpg

I've never seen anything just like that. It could be fur mites, but it seems rather extreme and sudden to be that.

Edited to add: I think Rebel Rose may be right. The fur should grow back, but not in time for the weekend.

All 7 are in individual cages now - actually in 2 travel carriers. A 3 hole and a 4 hole. Each has it's own food and water bottle.

Hopefully they will have enough room for the next 4 days and hopefully the hair will grow back.

I wonder if this might be from them trying to nurse (if they are even trying - or if she is still nursing), and their heads rubbing along the bottom of the cage to get to the doe???

The doe has absolutely no hair loss anywhere and has been in the same cage with them since they were born.

Help. Please.

For the two comments so far.... Thank you!!!

Probably not trying to nurse loss, but she could be grooming through the wire and pulling hair. It can be a taught behavior...one starts they all start.

IF you get some fuzz back in 2-3 days, I'd say you found your problem for sure. Watch for dander or lil moving objects of course, just in case its mites...but I really think its over grooming.

It will take weeks (2-4) for new fur to come back in. I had a MR once take a full 2 months, but his face and rump was bald -.-

Back