*Urgent!* Collecting sperm from dying buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know I've been a ghost for a while but I'm in need of advice ASP

My best buck, Pipo, is curently dying I beleive. I do not plan on taking him to the vet, he is 4years+ from what the previous owner told me, but it's brain damage of some sort, head tilt, cant stand up straight, spins in circles, hasnt drank in over 2 days exept what I seringe forced him tonight, hasnt ate, did poop though, clean ears, clean eyes, not wounded anywhere... to all experienced breeders, see what I mean?
I was hoping to breed him to Carmen in a couple months when she'd be old enough until I'd get a double mane salamander female to keep. His current condition though tells me this is not going to happen.

Anyways, my only issue is, he's my only salamander carrier.
So, I do not have an heir atm...

Option 1 : well I still have his last remaining daughter that has not sold, english angora single mane lionhead mix marpie colored, but I dont know if she got the salamander gene. I havent done research on that color so I'm unsure how it works. So if you think this girl 100% carries it let me know.

Option 2 : He's in no shape to breed since he can barelly stand straight but I was wondering if it was possible to collect his sperm with a seringe per say and insiminate some of my adult does that way before he passes? This might procure me with a more suitable heir if it worked. If you think it's worth trying let me know ASP please! He's running out of time quick I think.

Option 3 : This is honestly my only viable option I think, since the other 2 are only wishfull thinking on my part. I just sold the other babies from his last litter last weekend and one of them was a Salamander english angora single mane lionhead mix female. We've already talked about me taking her back cause the son had an allergic reaction, but we think it was something in the hay and not that one rabbit cause they have 2 other rabbits from me already. But I could ask her if she'd be willing to give her back in exchange for either refund or free baby of their choice in the future, but as you can expect there is no garantee she will agree. I will note that telling her about his condition probly wont scare her, she's a return customer who's very understanding.

Please give me your opinion on all options.

He probably has EC , if he is still eating, see if he will eat raw garlic, onion or the tops of either.. if he is still otherwise healthy he may be able to improve a little- - if he does "come back" he will have to have raw allium family plants a few times a week for the rest of his life.
[I have no idea how to collect semen from a rabbit, if he is feeling poorly he probably won't ejaculate for you.. .

Welcome back to RT, Kimi... sorry it's under such circumstances.

I agree with Michael, it sounds like it might be E. cuniculi. Here's a link that may help you match up some of his symptoms, or give you an idea of what you might be facing: https://www.petcarevb.com/rabbit-veterinarian/rabbit-e-cuniculi.php

From the link, it seems like it might be treatable in the early phases... and Michael's advice with the onion tops can't hurt to try (I need to plant more, it's a useful plant to have around!).

As far as collecting the buck's semen goes... it doesn't store very well, so trying to keep it for Carmen would probably fail, and getting it to the other does... well they might take or they might not. That's always a gamble, though. And unfortunately I don't have any helpful suggestions for how you could "collect". I think your best bet for this breeding project may be to bring in a new rabbit, or come to an agreement with the owner of your Option #3 doe.

Also, I believe the color you meant was "sallander", not "salamander". It made me giggle thinking of a rabbit with salamander skin, though! :oops:

Wishing you luck!

I asked a friend and she's had a few males ahem "donate" sperm to her before, she also has a sick continental giant buck she could use giving this a shot in case he passes. So she's coming over to try and see if we can collect some from both. I'll settle for trying to get codette (carmen's mom), Mei, BigMama or Panda pregnant. Those does have 100% pregnancie rates so it might work. Will make for a huge baby boom if they all take, so I'll have to do some birth culling, but considering the circumstances it's my best shot I think. She also said it might be treatable and she has the medication so I'll try that also, but better safe then sorry.
It might come to option 3 regardless but I'd rather try what I can then sadden a client.

Also, I believe the color you meant was "sallander", not "salamander". It made me giggle thinking of a rabbit with salamander skin, though! :oops:
You are totally right! I always read it as salamander for some reason XD oups

How is EC spread? I'd think long and hard before using sperm from a sick/dying buck to impregnate a healthy doe. This ailment, whatever it turns out to be, is not something you want popping up in future generations. My concern may be misplaced, but it sounds very risky to me.

MaggieJ":6lomflyi said:
How is EC spread? I'd think long and hard before using sperm from a sick/dying buck to impregnate a healthy doe. This ailment, whatever it turns out to be, is not something you want popping up in future generations. My concern may be misplaced, but it sounds very risky to me.

Maggie has a point, EC is contagious -so the Buck should be housed away from healthy rabbits- as far as I know- EC is spread through contact with urine,[ even old, dried, or in soil] - or from the mother through the placenta..

I just finished up treating a buck with EC. 28 days fenbendazole (safeguard for goats) and I added in weekly shots of ivermectin based off of reports of it being a "miracle cure" when added to the fenbendazole. I did not see anything spectacular happening after the ivermectin shots as was reported but my buck improved, his balance is back but he has been left with some neurological issues which hopefully will resolve. It is believed to be carried by many rabbits. EC showed up in this buck about a month into some major hot weather, while they were all under stress, along with some other horrible things. Yay heat....

It is spread through spores in the urine and via mom in utero as Michael said. This buck is no longer in my breeding lineup since it showed up under stress and that is definitely not what I want in my herd. I am not sure I'd breed one either as sperm travels the same route as urine so contact with spores would be possible. They produce spores at certain points in the life cycle but that is beyond my ability to identify so he is out for breeding. Better to find another buck if possible

Sallander is a combination of color genes so it might be your buck is just contributing part of it. You didn't mention what color he is but sallander is basically a self chin with ee so if you have those genes in your herd you should be able to reproduce it

Back