Upset tummy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
Today my rabbit had a bit of an upset tummy. :cry: I wasn't there to witness it, for I had already left the house, but my mom told me about it. When I got home, he hadn't had another episode, but it is all over him, and it smells horrid :x He is terrified of getting baths, so does anyone has any tricks that could help me get him clean? I haven't changed his diet at all, but friday i did bring him home from a show that he had been at for several days... He has been acting perfectly normal since I brought him home. He is actually in much higher spirits than usual, and even today he is acting fine.

My understanding is that rabbits cannot vomit, so I assume you mean he had a bout of diarrhea. I don't know any tricks for removing it from his fur, but if you decide to bathe him, keep the water to body temperature and ease him into it, butt first. I've had to do this once or twice and found that using a bucket with the body temperature water means the rabbit hardly realizes it is in a bath. Once his hind feet are firmly on the bottom of the bucket, he tends to relax. Just my experience.

How do you know he is terrified of baths?

It can't be any worse than bathing a CAT!

Thanks for the advice :D I took a tub and put about an inch of warm water on the bottom, and set him in it. He freaked out a little bit at first, but he calmed down after a minute. I got everything off as far as I can tell.

As for how I know he is terrified of baths? Well, I tried it one time. BIG MISTAKE! I set him in the bath tub, and I sat on the side. I closed the shower curtain so he wouldn't notice that he could escape. I took a cup of warm water and slowly poured it over him. He seemed to enjoy the water. He was hopping around and splashing it everywhere :) Then I had to step out of the tub for a second, just long enough to grab something off the counter 3 feet away, and I guess he saw that he could get out like I did. And let me tell you, a slippery bath tub, a wet, scared 6 month old rabbit, and an 18 inch drop on the other side of the tub don't mix well :x I grabbed him just in time, but he tried to get out over and over and over. He was breathing really hard and shivering because by that time the water was getting cold, and I was also shaking and about in tears. I just couldn't get him to calm down. The only reason I was able to get him out was because he was so scared he just froze and wouldn't move anymore. But, after he settled down, he was fine and IK never tried that again ;)

Hot tip, most here have the scars

Don't try to 'save' a freaking out rabbit, let them get to a calm spot then worry about catching them, or go for the scruff, quickly (with proper technique) and realize that if the rabbit is still freaking out, you may need to let it drop and run or face a heart attack.

don't go there with the cat bathing!!! I was bathing animals at a groomers, and a very nasty, repeat customer cat (Maine Coon)was bought in-- Shopowner Taped legs together, muzzled the dang thing ( I don't know why the owner of the shop didnt invest is a cat washing cage) Anyway, all four legs got loose (honest terry, it won't get loose"), off came the muzzle, and all claws dug into one of my arms while the teeth sank all the way to the bone in my shoulder muscles.
Of course, I had no insurance at the time-- got a lousy 20 dollar tip for my 'pain'

ugh, terry. I think I would be VERY upset for that.

I have had two cats that liked their baths. A main coon mix, scrawny and skinny thing. I will post about him sometime, and a calico cat who belonged to my steppmom. Wierd animals.

Latest posts

Back