Updated website to include instructions for cage racks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
I have just finished updating my website to include the instructions on how we built our rabbit cage racks. Please give it a look-see and let me know what you think!

Rabbit Housing

Thanks!!

Wow! Excellent! That is exactly the kind of structure I want to build for my extra large grow out pen. So glad to have some guidance when it comes time to start building. Two questions: what kind of lumber did you use? Second: I saw that you have the slanted trays made out of the metal roofing, what are they emptying into? I could not really tell from the pictures. Overall I think it is wonderfull and I read through your raw feeding information as well. I have been feeding my 2.5 year old GSD partial raw diet until I can kick up rabbit production. I finally got a chest freezer from x-mas so I can start buying in bulk and freezing. To this point I could not get a good and easy to use formula to help me figure out exactly how much I should be feeding her. Bravo!

Glad it helped!!

We had initially set up the racks in our chicken pen so everything fell to the ground. When I moved the racks to a more sheltered area I left it to fall to the ground and raked everything up weekly. I used the rabbit waste in my garden areas to help fertilize. :)

The lumber was treated 2" x 4"s (treated was ok since the rabbits couldn't get to the wood) for the frames and legs. We also used 2" x 4" pieces to tip up the waste tray and on top of the rack to tip up the roof.

I'm glad the raw diet section was helpful! I'm still in the process of updating all those pages. Hopefully by the end of the weekend it should all be complete.

My biggest issue is keeping all smells to an undetecable level. Was thinking of digging up the grass in the spot where I want to put it and putting down gravel with a layer of sand on top. That way urine would go through the sand and be absorbed into the ground, but I could easily rake up the bunny berries everyday. Still tinkering. I caught the 2x4 bit, but last time I went to Home Depot to price lumber the sheer volume of choices was dizzying.

Thanks! I have a small worm bin, but the worm population is taking it's sweet time in growing....maybe they just want more space and some rabbit poo :)

I used to have gravel under my cages and HATED it. It's a pain trying to separate the gravel from the poo in order to put it in the garden, etc. I think a little lime should do the trick. I also find that all the hay that the rabbits drop helps keep things in more harmonious balance and it composts quicker.

And yes, when there were chickens we never had a problem because the chickens scratched through the bunny piles all the time looking for yummy bits, and kept it well aired.

PulpFaction":3815kfvr said:
I used to have gravel under my cages and HATED it. It's a pain trying to separate the gravel from the poo in order to put it in the garden, etc. I think a little lime should do the trick. I also find that all the hay that the rabbits drop helps keep things in more harmonious balance and it composts quicker.

And yes, when there were chickens we never had a problem because the chickens scratched through the bunny piles all the time looking for yummy bits, and kept it well aired.

I have been considering using pea gravel in the area I want to build my cages but thought it would be a pain to clean out/separate...So what I was thinking was building wooden boxes under the cages with one long side hinged so it could drop down and make it easier to clean out. That way I could have gravel for the path area etc. and have better drainage (I live in oregon....rains constantly) I've never really dealt much with gravel in garden/livestock areas though, do you think that might work?

That is why I want sand over the gravel, get good drainage but easy to rake up the berries. I have heard from a person who has done this exact same thing and had good results.

sorry we calgulate in mm and cm here, i think 16 gauge would be arround 1,3cm then
Ok thanks LASGD

Back