Register

**Updated Hand Feeding Formula**

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,368.00

Re: **Updated Hand Feeding Formula**

Post Number:#31  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Shea wrote:I had a stray thought what if you used this concept http://rabbittalk.com/a-question-about-gut-bacteria-t32396.html?hilit=gut%20bacteria#p321353
With the hand feed formula? Say replace the probiotic with the natural form?

Rabbit kits will ingest some of momma's poop or cecatropes when they are with her, so it might be a help. I think, however, that it would occur naturally when they are a bit older. I don't know how helpful it would be for very young kits, but if you decide to try it, please post the results.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 435.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby MeadowView » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm

I’m using this formula with newborn checkered giant kits, but we are using whole goats milk fresh off the goat. I’m just curious if I should be using evaporated goats milk or if what I’m doing is fine? We lost two of the original survivors. She had ten, five were alive though one seemed to have some sort of neurological issue and we lost him the first night. The remaining three are five days old now and they’re alive but don’t seem to be growing all that well.

(Edited to remove double post)

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,850.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby Homer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 am

Not knowing how whole goat milk stacks up but doubt it is as high in fat and protein here is Meyenberg Goat Milk label, (evaporated). When I worked on this I didn't lose any so it's either the milk or other issues you mentioned. Sorry I can't be more help. Mt grow rate was very good once I started adding the probiotic to stop the bloat some were experiencing. You might try making a couple batches with a can and see if there is any change.

Meyenberg
Nutrition Label

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp

Servings Per Container: 12

amount per serving

calories: 35

calories from fat: 15

total calories per container: 420

total calories from fat: 180

% daily value* (DV)

recommended (DV)

total fat 2g

3%

saturated fat: 1.5g

8%

trans fat 0g

polyunsaturated fat 0 g

monounsaturated fat 0g

cholesterol: 10mg 3%

sodium: 30mg 2%

total carbohydrate 3g 1%

dietary fiber: 0g 0%

sugars: 3g 12%

protein 2g

calcium 8%
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Previous