Update on my rescued angoras

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Well they are doing fabulous. Since Richard cannot be kept in a cage I have them in an old macaw walk in aviary off my back door. Under a 20 foot by 20 foot carport, on gravel/straw.

I put Margie and Richard in together, since I wanted to breed them anyway and they love living together.

I was watching Margie grooming Richard today. She was licking his face like a dog and he was laying there seemingly enjoying it. I've seen/heard no fighting, no food hogging, nothing.

Angoras seem to be the most docile rabbit I've ever encountered.

So I noticed that where Margie was matted and there were sores, the fur is growing back black? Here is a photo:

1392045_10201487621327146_987642273_n.jpg

And just for fun, here is Margie:

1459679_10201487620567127_885879512_n.jpg

And here is Richard:

1459701_10201487619167092_1301238383_n.jpg

And no, I don't keep the clips on them. But when I'm taking photos it's fun! Richard is rocking that pink flower clip I think.

They both are great for sitting on the end table, on my polar fleece, and seem to tolerate getting brushed.

I've been brushing them twice a week so they get used to it. Neither one seems to want treats during this. Though Margie likes to steal the brush and hide it under the fleece? She's so weird! She grabs with with her mouth, shoves it under the fleece and digs at the fleece until the brush is disappeared...

Oh and PS! I have great news! Richards hock sores are almost 100% healed (I would say at least 80%) since getting him out of a cage.

Yay! They are adorable, and I honestly thing the temperament is there with all of he angora breeds. I have yet to find a breed that has the same laid back, will put up with anything temperament.

How wonderful! It's so nice to hear that they are recovering so well. They look great! I agree... all of my angoras are absolute sweeties. I have yet to meet a downright mean one.

Now I want fluffballs too! :O

Glad to hear they're doing better, even if I missed the whole rescue thing :) That the coat grows back black doesn't surprice me, isn't that her base colour? I know my brown horse get black ''scars'' if he get a scratch somewhere. They turn normal again once fully grown and sun-bleeched.

When angoras start to grow their coat in from a shearing or when they molt, they do start out full colored. If you look at the tips of most angora wool, it will be the full color of the rabbit, not the washed out color the hair looks like as it gets longer.

This is due to the fact that they have the same amount of pigment per hair as any other rabbit does, but that color has to be spread through a much longer hair. It seems like they do have a higher concentration of pigment at the tips though, which causes the wool to look normal colored as it just starts to grow in. Also, when you notice that it looks like their current coat has a base ring of full pigment, it is the new coat growing in, and your bunny should be ready to pluck.

Sorry, I meant to write that in my last post, but forgot. :)

Back