Register

Unsure conception

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
BunnyBucks: 41.00

Unsure conception

Post Number:#1  Unread postby JessiDarklighter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

I have a rex that I thought was a buck who I caged with a lonely lop buck. When the rex buck refused to breed the rex doe, I separated them into solitary cages. The rex buck is actually a rex doe, and she seems to be pregnant to bursting. Obviously I have no idea when the breeding could have happened. I watch them often (the cages are in my bedroom) and never saw a mounting, let alone a fall off. I can tell you I put them in the same cage around August the 1st, and put them in different cages on September 14th. A nearby rabbitry owner confirmed the rex was a doe on Friday, and agreed with my belief that she is very pregnant. My question is, How long do I wait for kindling with such a long range in which she might have bred? Here is a picture I took a few minutes ago, she mainly stays in this position.
Attachments
image1 (1).jpeg
Oreo sploot
image1 (1).jpeg (570.17 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Last edited by JessiDarklighter on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,197.00

Re: Unsure conception

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 pm

It is extremely likely she is bred. You do not have to see it be done, it literally takes a couple seconds. I would give her a nest box now and keep it in with her (take it out to clean it if needed though) until October 17th.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:08 pm

:yeahthat:

And then leave it a few days longer, just to be certain. So many times I've heard the sad song: "I decided she didn't take, so I took out the nest box. I lost them all on the wire."

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Ozarkansas

BunnyBucks: 41.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby JessiDarklighter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 pm

My worry is mostly due to how big she is. When I first put her into a solitary cage I noticed her belly was bigger, and that was nearly 2 weeks ago and now her belly is spilling over my hands when I pick her up. This would be her first pregnancy and the intentionally mated doe of her cagemate just gave birth to 7 kits on her first pregnancy.
If she has stuck kits, there are no vets around here who know anything about rabbits. I know, I called them all when I lost half of my first try at breeding.

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,230.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Dont worry too much, give her time and a nest box like Maggie and Oazarkansas said and wait it out.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,890.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby grumpy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am

Get her a nest box... 'quick'.. LOL..
and like Maggie says, leave it with her a few extra days.

If she's a young doe, the number of kits she'll have is (any-number)..
I doubt a kit will get 'stuck'... if so, most generally the doe will 'pull' it.
It's usually an older doe that's been open a while that'll have an oversized kit.

Don't be surprised with a first-litter doe if she's not successful, and loses the litter.
It's nothing you've done wrong.. .. @$#% happens... :x
Keep an eye on her... but don't be a nuisance about it :).
Just stick to your normal routine and she'll do fine.

Best of luck to you.

Grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,197.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:01 am

Did she end up having babies?
:lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny:
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com