Unexplained death-hoping we arent starting a new trend

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We have a Holland Lop Doe that kindled 6. She's always been a good producer, and this time she had her first stillborn. Then one went missing, I think it slipped out the cage or died and she ate it (although I have never seen her eating babies and she didn't eat her still born). Now at almost 3 weeks we lost another one. I sure hope the remaining 3 will be ok, but just wondering what might be causing this. Mom seems healthy and like she feeding them well. They are just starting to nibble hay and run around the cage. I feel awful because someone showed interest in it, and now I will have let them know what hapened. Anyway, thoughts on what this could be are appreciated. She was acting sluggish this morning. Wondering if it's an underlying problem with all 3 or just bad luck.

It could just be bad luck. Maybe just look through all feed and hay for the presence of mold. I once lost a kit due to old hay(couldn't see mold but the bag had been left open so I assume it was that.)

Or, coccidiosis can be an underlying problem to unexplained deaths or unthrifty litters. You could look at michaels4gardens posts on treating with alliums(I've tried it on a kit who started to act sluggish and have diarrhea. I don't know if it was that or what, but he got better after.)

Or again, it could just be happening. If another one dies you could perform a necropsy to determine the cause.

I also just thought about the fact I treated the back yard with cutter for fleas. I am pretty careful not to directly spray the buns but I do get around and on parts of their cages. I wonder if somehow this little guy was affected by that. There have been no symptoms at all. So I know it's not enteritis, I guess could be cocci but wouldn't I see some kind of symptons?

Latest posts

Back