Uneven molting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat872

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
About a month before I got my buck his coat was sheared as he had been in a fight with his brother. Now his belly is molting (right down to almost bald), but his back and sides where he was sheared are not ready yet.

Will his molting pattern ever even out again or will he always molt in two stages now? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:54 pm __________ <br /><br /> Hmmm... never mind... his back and sides seem to be starting to release too. He is currently naked (except for head and legs) from neck to "waist" and looks like he's wearing a big, fluffy tutu. Good thing I already bred him to Annabelle as she would probably not want to be seen with him now! Poor Mister...

His coat is very uneven though (due to the shearing I'm sure...and not being fed a wooler diet). I'm hoping his next coat will be much more even with a longer staple.

When I got Annabelle she was terribly matted and not well kept. I knew I was in for trouble because when I asked the breeder how she removed her coat she said she never did (she was 9 months old) because it was too cute and fluffy. When I took her old coat off her new one was already an inch long! Her new coat is beautiful!! Even in length, good colour, soft, with just a hint of crimp, and very easy to groom. I hope I'm as lucky with Mister.

When shearing the person really had to make sure they do it all. I called myself leaving some on in the winter time. Boy does it make for an ugly coat when it all grows back in, or useless wool at harvest time.

Well, between his surgery and molting to naked, he has nothing left to grow unevenly, so his next coat should be even and wonderful!! He is also on a much better diet now (even though my vet and I are still disagreeing on the food he would like to see him on - 14% protein - vs the food I have him on - 18% protein).

:yeahthat:

I believe 14 - 15% is sufficient for a neutered/spayed house bunny that is not a wool breed. But our lionhead couldn't keep his wool even on 16%, so he's on 18%. And he isn't even covered with wool... he just has a mane, and he may be getting something of a skirt.

I would guess your vet is not familiar with wool breeds. Maybe you could provide him with some documentation. :)

Yes, I tried to have that discussion with him and I got the, "Well, I talked to the sales rep at Oxbow about that and they said this food is fine." Duh...of COURSE he said that, he wants you to recommend his food!!

I will try bringing him some info when we go to have the antibiotic pellet removed, but I don't know how receptive he'll be. He's a good vet otherwise. We just may have to agree to disagree on food.

Back