Register

underutilized resources

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,320.00

underutilized resources

Post Number:#1  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 am

I spent the day researching growing ,and using information for various unusual plants, -on the internet.
I want to experiment with growing things in leaves.
The City collects and hauls off hundreds of tons of leaves each fall- according to what I read-- they will deliver some to home gardeners if they have safe and easy access for their big dump trucks... some people use them as mulch...
I think,- the leaves could be utilized for growing food plants. The Chinese Yam, "Dioscorea oppositifolia" - is a weed here [and many places] - The root and tubercles taste good, have just a little less calories than potato, a little more protein, vitamins, and minerals.
It is a very underutilized plant in the US. Since it is listed as "invasive" and "noxious" buy our Government agriculture people, they shouldn't mind if we eat it. I also want to see if Turmeric, Taro, and Tannier Spinach would grow in just leaves... I will probably want to experiment with potatoes also... The spent leaves would be great mulch for traditional gardens....
anyone ever tried growing vegetables in "just leaves" ???
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 948.00

Re: underutilized resources

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ferra » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:53 am

My current experiment is growing oyster mushrooms in waste hay, rabbit tray sawdust, cardboard,etc. Leaves would probably work well too. In composting terms, oyster mushrooms eat mainly browns (wood, straw, paper, etc). And they require only a little extra nitrogen in the mix. People have reported good results growning them on coffee grounds, too.

I'll have to report back with results: I got my starter culture in, and because I am a cheapskate, I am going to split it between a few jars of sterilized feed oats to make it last longer before I start creating "Waste Hay Logs" of it. So odds are good I won't see a harvest for about another 12 weeks or so.

Edit: okay, so... Not a plant per se. But the closest this to one that I would be able to get to grow in just leaves up hear at least!
Raising purebred French Angora in Alberta, Canada
http://www.angoryrabbits.ca

Instagram: @angoryrabbit

The following user would like to thank Ferra for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,320.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:33 am

Ferra wrote:My current experiment is growing oyster mushrooms in waste hay, rabbit tray sawdust, cardboard,etc. Leaves would probably work well too. In composting terms, oyster mushrooms eat mainly browns (wood, straw, paper, etc). And they require only a little extra nitrogen in the mix. People have reported good results growning them on coffee grounds, too.

I'll have to report back with results: I got my starter culture in, and because I am a cheapskate, I am going to split it between a few jars of sterilized feed oats to make it last longer before I start creating "Waste Hay Logs" of it. So odds are good I won't see a harvest for about another 12 weeks or so.

Edit: okay, so... Not a plant per se. But the closest this to one that I would be able to get to grow in just leaves up hear at least!

I love to grow mushrooms... especially those utilizing hardwood logs... an to me-- I think of every thing divided into plant and animal - so although not technically correct-- mushrooms are in my garden, and on my plate as a plant... [as I can't put hem in the animal kingdom] I have a recipe [for canning] cream of mushroom soup ,I am planing to try out when i get mushrooms and time...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,965.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby akane » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not sure how well things would grow in just leaves. People do plant in hay bales though so that's plain, dried plant matter.

Leaves don't go to waste here. What the city collects is free from the landfill before or after citywide composting. They also compost all wood chips and so forth collected back from the city and have separate yard waste and vegetable scrap cans. Up to 5000lbs of materials at a time (my s10 holds 4000lbs of the leaf/mulch compost) will be loaded for you if you are paying to deliver your own load of extra recycling or for a small fee. Since glass has to be a separate container here that mine keeps getting stolen I just pay $5 to deliver a few tall garbage cans of glass and take compost every year. City limits has an animal waste compost pile size restriction that is rapidly met for making your own compost every year. I've avoided it some by composting in true burlap bags from the coffee shops or what the coffee shops have sent to the feed stores to be sold for $.10 each. Burlap breaks down with the compost material and let's moisture and air pass.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
michaels4gardens