Register

Uncarded French Angora wool advice

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 25.00

Uncarded French Angora wool advice

Post Number:#1  Unread postby innerchild777 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello! :)
I've just started out with 2 beautiful French Angoras. I harvested over the course of a few days and the fiber is about 3-3.5 inches long. I wanted to try spinning the fiber uncarded on a drop spindle (haven't saved up enough for a wheel yet!!) and hoped for some pointers on here:) I have only been spinning for a short time, and I realize that Angora fiber is slippery compared to sheep's wool, but I'm a dare devil, what can I say!
Any advice on drop spindle use with uncarded fiber?

Site Supporter
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Re: Uncarded French Angora wool advice

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:36 pm

I dont card my angora fibre.. I just spin it just like it is.. but i dont use a drop spindle, sorry cant help you there

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,528.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Spun uncarded as a cloud like your doing is the best way, but I can't really give you any pointers besides saying to make sure you add a lot of twist so it stays. Drop spin fling angora is something you have to learn by application, basically.
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Breeding German Angoras and hybrids*

Post Number:#4  Unread postby innerchild777 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've seen it done a few times on a wheel (oh how I WISH I had a wheel!!!!!!). Since it's bound to be awhile before I get a wheel, I'll have PLENTY of time to perfect using a drop spindle with the fiber. I am getting some hand carders in a week or so, too.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 pm

All I can say is don't get discouraged. I learned to use the wheel way before I could even make my drop spindle useful. I spin the angora from a cloud as well.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

The following user would like to thank skysthelimit for this post
innerchild777

Post Number:#6  Unread postby innerchild777 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Now I need to find a used wheel, then! :)

BunnyBucks: 325.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby LBMBarbalooski » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:15 am

I spin from the uncared cloud on my wheel. Don't give up. There is a learning curve to spinning angora. I asked for spinning advice from our local spin shop and she told me I would have to teach her since she had little experience with angora, and she's been spinning for close to 30 years! Check with your local spin shop or at fiber festivals for used wheels. They are out there.
Little Brown Mouse Rabbitry - a little brown mouse was the start of our beautiful love story.
Raising French Angoras.

Site Supporter
Belgium
BunnyBucks: 3,207.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby DogCatMom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 pm

LBMBarbalooski wrote:... Check with your local spin shop or at fiber festivals for used wheels. They are out there.

Michigan Fiber Festival 2014, Allegan County (western MI, I think?)

Links page of website for Weavers Guild of Kalamazoo. Note also their Spring Retreat.

You're (almost) never alone in the fiber world in the Age of the Internet. :) Also look up the Dodek (maybe Dodec) spinning wheel, very simple to make, very inexpensive to make. Not elegant, but very functional, according to those who've used one. It's not a flyer but rather a spindle wheel. (This may mean nothing to you now, but it means a lot in terms of ease of construction.)

Happy "surfing"! :D

The following user would like to thank DogCatMom for this post
innerchild777

BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby AnnClaire » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:15 am

Hi Innerchild,

I spin my angora on my flock of Kundert spindles :D My advise is to watch your drafting triangle ... that is where the "business" really happens. Yes, overspin your angora a bit, especially if you are not going to ply. And use the barest of grip to hold onto the cloud in your hand. Take only small clumps, fluff it up, then use to spin :D
cheers - AnnClaire

Post Number:#10  Unread postby innerchild777 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:12 am

DogCatMom-
Thanks! The woman who I bought the Angoras from suggested the Fiber Fest, which I had never heard of! It's really close to where I live, so I'm TOTALLY going!

The following user would like to thank innerchild777 for this post
DogCatMom

BunnyBucks: 2,575.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby owlsfriend » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:42 am

Grooming the rabbit is the only "carding" you should need. remove any small mats from the wool as you harvest.

__________ Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:42 am __________

free directions for make your own spinning wheel
http://www.spinningdaily.com/media/p/90 ... ntent.aspx
good luck!

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,215.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby ckcs » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:59 pm

When you do spin with a drop, please let us know and post pictures if you are able. I've gotten into French Angoras and would love to try my hand at spinning with a drop spindle. A wheel would be too expensive for me to just goof off with.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 166.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby furtoplease » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:00 pm

I spin Giant and English wool, and at this point I've found the drop spindle to be easier than the wheel, due to more experience. Don't hold too much wool at once-your hands will sweat and get very slippery.

BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby skysthelimit » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 pm

ckcs wrote:When you do spin with a drop, please let us know and post pictures if you are able. I've gotten into French Angoras and would love to try my hand at spinning with a drop spindle. A wheel would be too expensive for me to just goof off with.

You could always try a kick spindle, midway between and nothing to drop.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,215.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby ckcs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:58 pm

skysthelimit wrote:
You could always try a kick spindle, midway between and nothing to drop.

I never knew such a thing existed. They look pretty neat, thanks for sharing the info

Next