umm what wrong with him?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
i put my rabbit in with my male and he mounted but climbed off again he did that over and over again. the female never kindled so i assume he didnt breed her it was my first attemp to breed a pair he was smaller then her a little could that be why i was thinking of putting my smaller female in with him but i want to sell them since i am only breeding for meat.

Hello Pastelsummer,
How old is the Buck and the Doe?
Did you check the Doe and Buck prior to placing them together for breeding?
If the Doe was not slightly swollen and bright red to purple in color
she was not ready for breeding. The Buck must have all of his tools
or he will not be able to do/complete his job.
Dennis, C.V.R. See my Website:

i got these from my dad and sister they got them but never did anything with them and they gave them to me. They got them off of freecycle and got no information on them. I am unsure as to how to make sure the buck i was trying to use has everything or if he was altered and no one told, my fatehr insists you cannot alter rabbits LOL, Also i am unsure how to tell how old they are. I am begining to regret getting these rabbits.

Turn the boy over, if he has testes (little sacs that hang next to his genital region) then he's not neutered (aka fixed). if you push on it and something sticks out, then you know you have a boy.

Certainly rabbits of either sex can be neutered. It is not the simple procedure, however, for buck rabbits that it is for some other farm animals. That is likely why your father was not aware it was possible... It is done by a vet under a general anesthetic.

Sounds to me as though he may be neutered and only mildly interested in the doe, but you do need to turn him over and take a look. The sacs containing the testicles on a buck rabbit are as Ladysown said, one on each side. They are quite prominent and usually hairless, so you can't miss them.

If you have trouble selling the rabbits you don't want, why not consider butchering and eating them instead? Older rabbits still make great soup, stew or pot pie.

I am trying to get to a computer that i can load pics onto so i can show you them. i do not believe they are overweight and i am sure velvet is female.

pastelsummer":3q8yr1vq said:
i put my rabbit in with my male and he mounted but climbed off again he did that over and over again.

What did the female do? If she sat there grinding her teeth and growling and clamping her butt down to the wire, it could be that she wouldn't let him complete the act. If he is quite a bit smaller than her, that might stop him, he couldn't just force the connection, if you see what I mean. If she lifted her tail to let him have access, then he should have gotten the job done, and you would know because he would go like a little jackhammer and suddenly (usually)fall off to the side, then hop up and (if she is willing), repeat. It's pretty comically unmistakable. :lol:

If the doe did receive him and didn't kindle, she could be old, and losing fertility. Maybe he could be too young--though it sounds like you have had them in your family's possession for long enough to be sure he is over 6 months old.

Alot of people use the 3 strikes rule--try 3 completed breedings and if she never gives you healthy kits she has a date with the stew pot. If she didn't actually breed, then I wouldn't count it against her, I would just try again until she had bred. You can help the buck by kind of holding her still, I have never really had to. I think if I had a doe that stubborn, I might just cull her, I don't like hassles.

he climbed on and off and she ran to the other side i know she can have babies my sister got one litter off her but they just kept messing with her and so she killed the babies. i kept telling them that you cant just breed rabbits never do anything but feed them and then expect them to let you handle thier babies from day one. But thats another post. i am getting some pics uploaded to facebook so i can show them to you.

__________ Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:47 pm __________

oh and when i tried to hold her bum up for him he just hopped to the other side of the cage and wouldnt try untill i took my hands out<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:16 pm __________<br /><br />ok here is pictures of the rabbits i was trying to breed
lunch my buck
IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

velvet my doe
IMG_1232.jpg

ooh, I really like Lunch's coat. Im sure the doe has a lovely coat too, but I like Lunch's pattern! I don't think they are overweight....try adding apple cider vinegar to their water. I've heard good things about that, and it gets them to drink more, too...

I don't know, but keep trying! It will happen I'm sure, I mean, their rabbits...Try and watch them all the time they are together and shes not pregnant until he falls over. Thats what I would do. How big was her last litter? Keep an eye out for more rabbits, though, in case you keep having problems with this pair.

They look like very nice rabbits with some nice color combinations possible there. I'd keep trying. I don't have problems getting my rabbits to breed successfully all year round and the only thing I do differently from other people is to make sure my rabbits get something fresh to eat every day like leafy greens, apple slices, bannana pieces, berry leaves, etc. in addition to their hay and pellets. If they are not already getting fresh greens you want to start them very gradually with small portions to avoid getting their stomachs upset.

Do you think you could leave them together in a large cage? Or set up an area that's enclosed like a play pen? Watch them for awhile to make sure the doe isn't going to get nasty, of course. Let them get acquainted and to give him the time to figure out what to do.

Or house them right next to each other so they can become a "pair"?

Pastel,
the Buck's color is a Chinchilla and the Doe is
either a Black Marten or Black Otter. Hard to tell from the picture.
Before you bred them did you check the Does genitals to see if she was ready?
Another thing you can try is: Bringing the Doe to the Buck
for up to four days in a row. Within that time frame she will breed.
Stay and watch the proceedings, everything should take place within 5 Min. or less.
DO NOT turn your head or blink or you might miss the action.
I would not leave unattended rabbits together for any length of time.
Because you will not know if or when the breeding took place.
If you witness the breeding you will know exactly when to place a nestbox with the Doe.
Ottersatin.

When I tried to breed for the first time I tried to put the buck and doe together in an old playpen but nothing happened. After getting frustrated I ended up talking to an older man who told me that unless you bring the doe into the buck's territory, not much will happen (which is what I was experiencing). I was also told by another breeder that if the doe does not 'lift' for you when you start to tap on her underside, then she won't lift for the buck and the buck will try over and over again but nothing will happen. So now, whenever I want to breed the does, I test to see if they will lift for me. If so, into the buck's hutch they go ... if not, I'll wait for a few days and try again.

i finally got him to breed to a smal doe...... *shakes head* he is just stubborn i gues either that or he heard me talking about putting him in the stwe pot.

Back