Turning two cages into one for breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I have a cage that is about 6 foot long, with a divider in the middle making two 3 foot cages. The right one has my white doe and the left has my black buck. In the middle of the cage there is a divider that is a sheet of wood *Can't remember the right word for it* They can't chew it because in the back of the cage is two 2x2's that hold the wood in place tightly. My question is, Can I remove the divider to breed them? It would give them more run space, I can open both of their doors so that if something happens I can stop it.

After breeding I really want to move the buck over into her cage, and bring the brown buck from in the goat room out into the black bucks cage and move the white doe inside. Any thoughts on my plans? I really don't want to do this if it's something dumb lol.
For a bit more insight on this. I have most of my does inside the goat room because it's more temp controlled and this was I can breed in the winter without frozen babies (I shouldn't say without, but hopefully less chance of it, especially since I check them a lot) But anyway I have my brown buck in the goat room and I kinda want to move him into the cage the black buck is in and move the black buck over.. This is because the right cage (one with the black buck currently) has 3 of 4 sides covered but the left one is 2 of 4 until I cover the side once it gets colder.

**Edited to make it easier to read

As in, breeding two pairs at the same time in the one cage? I assume with the divider back in? Sounds like too much work for me :p I would just do the traditional doe visit to the buck's cage and call it good. Not to mention if something went wrong you would have to scramble to get everyone separated and would be in a real pickle if both sides went crazy at the same time. Or are you wanting to pair them up permanently? I am guessing not, but I would stay far away from that option. I have never had rabbits live well together, even same gender siblings (both male and female) end up fighting eventually.

Well it's the two of them in one cage with a divider. I figured I could slide it out and let them have the full space to get jiggy in.
I have however had 3 does living in one cage for a while. It was about 4 ft long I guess and the order from oldest to youngest was Buttons (Mom of Butterball), Butterball (Mom of Harlem), and Harlem (Granddaughter of Buttons, daughter of Butterball). They never fought, but they also lived side by side for a long time before we introduced them over a period of time on a neutral ground to see if they were ok together for long periods, they weren't just tossed together.

I need to start separating my stuff so people can figure out what I mean... I make things WAY to confusing.

I would leave the divider in place for breeding myself. It's a lot easier to grab a doe from a 3' cage than a six footer if something goes wrong.

Breed them and then move them around. It should be fine.

I went ahead and moved them because I was moving her into a bucks cage. I'll breed her tomorrow that's way she's in the mood hopefully

Back