Turkeys- How long in fridge before going into the freezer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This has been a big turkey year for me so far. I got 22 turkeys and 11 have been put on the bus to freezer camp. With Thanksgiving around the corner I've had a lot of interest in the turkeys so it should be a good year this year. Most of the time I let the turkeys rest in the fridge for about two days and then vacuum pack and freeze them but for some reason I'm not sure of the first four turkeys went into the freezer the same day as processing. My question is: would they be tough after cooking because the body wasn't left to rest until the rigor went out of the muscles?

Last year my Mom bought a turkey off me and brined it in salt water for about 12 hours before she cooked it and it was the most moist and tastiest turkey we've ever had. It was the first year that we didn't buy a turkey from the store and everyone raved about how good it was. Would a good solid brining make those first four turkeys as tender as the other ones?

No, rigid still happens when poultry are frozen, just at a slower rate but if they are already frozen then they should be past rigor by Oct 10 (Canadian Thanksgiving) and definitely by Nov _?_ (USA Thanksgiving)

Thanks, Dood! They went into the freezer 2-4 weeks ago depending on the batch so hopefully the rigor will be gone by now. I have a few people's Thanksgiving dinner depending on me so I just want everything to go well.

Back