Turkey Emergency **GRAPHIC**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So two nights ago one of our turkeys got ate by an opossum that had managed to get into the coop *The hole has been fixed*. Another turkey who seems to have been the defender got injured and is now chilling out in our bathroom downstairs with some food and water. By injury I mean his bone is sticking out. I found this out because he was standing with his wings both drooping down last night when we went out to check on them and I noticed his one eye had so much crud it was glued shut, so with the help of my man we held him down lightly and I wiped his eye clean. This morning I went out to feed everyone and he hadn't moved or changed positions plus his one eye still looked gross.. I got Robert to bring me a warm wet t-shirt *We were out of clean wash clothes downstairs* so I wiped his eye some more and got more dirt off, I think his eye might be sore, because that crud was hard to get off last night because of how it was stuck *His eye is puffy* He's looking good now and someone had told me he could live as long as the other turkeys didn't attack him. (I think I've said this before but..) He's in my bathroom, toilet seat shut!, with plantain salve rubbed all around the nub of bone and a piece of gauze covering it. I initially put loose headband on him to hold his wings up but he managed to wiggle it down and off, and now he's standing up and holding his wings up by himself. <br /><br /> __________ June 18th, 2016, 11:12 am __________ <br /><br /> I just got handed breakfast so I went ahead and posted it so if my laptop restarted I wouldn't loose all my work.

If bone is actually sticking out and exposed, their is a very low chance of survival. There is to much risk of infection. The bone will eventual die and start to decay and you can imagine where it goes from there. Even without seeing the injury, I recommend euthanizing the turkey.

I agree, it's probably best to put it out of it's misery. With an exposed bone it would probably take some stitches to cover it up so it can properly heal - is the bone broken? Out of joint? Just a chunk missing and exposed?

They've said it's bone is dislocated and just broke through the skin.. There's no bone pieces missing.. It looks like the skin is trying to grow up over it.

__________ June 18th, 2016, 5:15 pm __________

I'll tell them what you guys have said... But I can't guarantee they'll actually put it down.. He's doing much better than he was when I found him this morning. He's holding his wing up and not complaining. He's just walking around my tiny bathroom, eating some food and drinking some water. Doing normal turkey stuff.. He's already went two days like this and doesn't look run down or anything.. But I guess a bone rotting could be an issue. I'm gonna take to google and see what I can find.. <br /><br /> __________ June 18th, 2016, 5:40 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ok so I googled and looked over several sites. I saw that other people have had chickens with bones sticking out their wings. I've also read that they have a very high pain tolerance and will stop eating and drinking if the pain is unbearable. I'll watch and see if he eats and if he don't I'll make it be known. He ate when I first put food down for him as well as he drank some water. He's not drooping his wing anymore and is standing much better. Robert's step-dad *the owner* Says the turkey will be fine since it's just his wing and not his leg, the wings aren't as important and can actually be amputated but it is very expensive to do so. Like anything broken, it's gonna hurt so I'm gonna keep putting plantain salve on it *We make this at home* and hope he gets better because in all honesty it's all I can do..

Back