Tumor in rabbit?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I have a rabbit about 8 weeks that has a couple bumps. One has erupted thru the skin and seems to be a tumor. I plan on putting it down, but have not heard of such a situation.

thoughts?

I'd have to know far more about the "bumps" before doing more than hazarding a guess. Is it possible that it has a couple of warbles? aka bot flies? These insects lay their egg under the skin of a mammal. The larva grows there and eventually erupts through the skin. I've never actually seen one, but they are common in some areas. I urge you to rule out this possibility, because although they are kind of disgusting, there is no need to put the kit down if this is what you are seeing. There are threads on HT Rabbits about bot flies and warbles from other years... and, of course, there is Google to learn more.

Sounds like cuterebra - aka rabbit botfly larvae. No big deal. I had a couple of kittens get them when we first moved here, haven't seen it since.

I will take a pic and post an image. It has two of them, the size is about a quarter large. I am thinking its a cyst, a post on this section seems to describe what I see.<br /><br />__________ Sat May 29, 2010 11:41 am __________<br /><br />images posted in my gallery.

yup - no great insight from the photo - I'm not used to looking at photos of bumps so not as helpful as i'd like to be

I couldn't tell much from the photo either. Sorry, CH. Is there a tiny hole in the centre of the lump? If so, likely bot fly... though in the early stages I don't think you can see the hole. Did you google warbles and bot flies?

Kid camping up this way a few years ago had a lump on his cheek. Parents didn't pay much attention figurign it was an insect bite... until the lump started to move! That freaked them out and they took the kid to a doctor... bot fly. Gross, but the kid was fine. Eventually the mature fly exits the lump and flies away.

she has two. this kit was cut by mommas claws when young; I am thinking that one of them is a cyst. The image my be a bot fly as it seems to be erupting. Either way, it will be culled (not eaten).

It's up to you, of course, but if it's bot fly there is no need to cull... No need to cull for a cyst either unless you feel the rabbit is suffering. If you do cull, you likely should open the bumps after so you know what the problem was... for future reference.

Seriously...if it's a bot fly..why on earth would you cull her? The rabbit has nothing wrong with it. A cyst forming around an injury is not a genetics problem, either. and it won't affect the meat.

Bots happen. In almost every species.

well, What about the two other lumps on her back? I am teaching a class next Sat and will need to show how to humanely dispatch and gut. I have isolated her until Sat.

they are probably abscesses. you said the mom scratched her right? the pix are very poor quality- you'd need to move/cut the hair away to allow us to really see the mass, but from what i can see it looks like an abscess.

Who are you teaching to "humanely dispatch & gut"?

given our other thread I'm curious about your humane method of killing rabbits - how do youdispatch them?

I use Donna's broomstick method. Her video was on youtube, but now its for registered only.

I find it very quick, effortless and the rabbit can be easily bled. I go from hopping to in the freezer bag in 10 minutes. I have not tried CO2, but expect this to cause gasping and panic---cervical dislocation is virtually instantainious and allows clean removal of the head too.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:10 pm __________<br /><br />looks like she had a bot fly, this am I saw an exit mark and its healing up. The lump in her neck is not. Either way, she will be put down this Sat for a demo on butchering and cleaning rabbits.

Latest posts

Back