Trying to start working on a tri color english lop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I have a harli do that came from a Blue Buck and a Black Doe. I have a broken blue buck that is said to carry the tricolor gene. When I cross the Harlequin Doe and the Broken Buck, what kind of colors can I expect and what are the odds of getting a tricolor? Also is this just a bad way to start?

You want to avoid self colored rabbit in harlequin lines in breed like this where non extension in common, but if you want to get tricolors, this isn't a bad start. You should have about a 25% chance for tricolors (if that buck really carries the tri gene), with an equal chance at black/orange tris and blue/fawn tris

I would limit my use of selfs in a tri program to limit non- extension. I would much rather use agouti or wideband in a tri but you could get harlequin marked agoutis which you could use in a tri program as well.

my only experience has been watching REX breeders "do it"

A dark red/black Harley and a red or broken red is what I have seen used.
I have tris in my meat program, but someone else did a lot of the hard work before I got them .....
They were using Harley (B&W) Chins crosses with Red NZ crosses...

I'm not sure if that will help
I know there is a genetic explanation as well... but that would depend on understanding all the genetic coding... which I do not!

Latest posts

Back