Trying to figure out how much room I need

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eternaladdictions

Reaction score
So I have 2 Rex does and 2 Rex bucks right now plus 9 five week old kits. I have an 8x8 shed that is ready to be turned into a colony. I have hanging cages in the colony for the bucks because I want to be able to control breeding. Is that enough room for 2 does and 9 grow outs? I will be keeping the kits until 16-18 weeks, so I will have to separate by sex at some point (I haven't figured out where the boys are going yet).
I would like my does to have their litters at the same time next time so is that going to be enough room for 2 does and 18 or so grow outs?

It should be but will be dependant on your does temperament and how they respond to crowding as not all rabbits have the right temperament for colony living, especially if they were not raised in one.

If you are keeping them for 4 or more months are you planning to have litters every 16 to 18 weeks?

Or do you plan to breed your girls more frequently as it will be way too small for two litters of 4 weeks old plus litters of 8 or 12 or 16 weeks

I used an 8 foot by 8 foot space for my rabbit colony. It was very workable for two does and a buck, but there are frequent ongoing management challenges whenever rabbits are sharing space.

The temperament of the does, as Dood says, is a big factor. Some rabbits enjoy the company of another doe; others will scrap, fight and interfere with the other doe's litter.

Are you feeding pellets or a natural diet? I ask this because you mention raising the fryers to 16-18 weeks. This is what I did on natural feed and there were usually no problems with precocious bucks because the rabbits mature more slowly sexually on natural feed, just as they grow more slowly. I have had the odd litter sired by a young buck, however, so it is something to keep in mind.

I recommend nest tunnels rather than nest boxes. I also suggest you enhance your available space with some shelves or other furniture so the rabbits have places to perch out of the way of others.

Good luck with your colony. I like raising rabbits in a colony better than in cages, but it does require a different kind of vigilance.

One of my does would love to be in a colony. She is super social and mild tempered. The other one is more dominate. She is great with her babies now, but I'm still unsure if she will do well in a colony setting. There will have to be tons of supervision the first little bit.

I do plan to have litters born about the time the other ones go off to freezer camp. I want my does to be nice and recovered before they have another litter. Plus I do realize it is a small space. I plan to expand it, but probably not until next year when funds become more available.

We are feeding a natural and pellet diet. They get lots of forage, but I also feed them pellets so I know they are not missing anything nutritionally. Its about half and half.

I do have some furniture ready to be put in the colony so there will be plenty of hiding spaces and I will put a few dividers up to make "rooms" they can go into to get away from each other.

Thank you for the responses!

How much room do you need - More. Exposure to rabbits causes ..... Flaming Rabbitosis Acquiritosis.

I've found that rabbits to me are like liquor to an alcoholic , one is too many & a thousand is never enough.

Back