Trying to figure Breeds...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seasprite

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what Sweetie's heritage could be?

https://goo.gl/photos/pkRuR1QwB9sMNdZN8

Hoping that pic shows up. Anyway... she's a "dumped" rabbit (or an escapee that no one bothered to look for), just had kits 2 months ago, is the sweetest thing (hence her name, Sweetie)... but I have no clue what she could be. She LOOKS like she has some Britannia Petite in her, but beyond that I can't tell. I know she can't be full blooded.... any ideas?

Thank you! She's as gentle and good natured as she is cute, too. I'm just trying to put together some puzzle pieces about her so I can care for her better. Knowing what breeds she might be can help me prepare for possibilities down the road. I know she's likely NOT netherland - I have one of those (pictured as my avatar) and she doesn't look a thing like him. He's more of a blimp with paws. :D Not significantly overweight, but definitely likes his food (I'd say between a healthy weight and sliiiiiiightly overweight... but his ribs are easy to feel, so I'm not worried). Her back is rounded like a BP, but there's more to her than that - almost guaranteed. No one would dump a purebred, I don't think. Would they?

Very cute!

What does she weigh?

It's almost impossible to determine an exact lineage. If you are thinking about future breeding, if "small mixed breed" rabbits sell well as pets where you are, I would just try to breed her to bucks her size or a bit smaller.

Marinea":1g06cxl9 said:
Very cute!

What does she weigh?

It's almost impossible to determine an exact lineage. If you are thinking about future breeding, if "small mixed breed" rabbits sell well as pets where you are, I would just try to breed her to bucks her size or a bit smaller.

She's about 2.5 lbs, maybe 3 at this point. And while I'm sure they 'sell', I'd rather not add to the surplus population in this area. Too many bunnies are in need of good homes. In fact, I'm having trouble *giving* away Sweetie's accidental litter of kits (she was found pregnant, even if we didn't know it at the time). You'd think lots of people would want an 8 week old rabbit from a good mom, but nope.

I do like the idea of Sweetie's bloodline living on though - she's a wonderful rabbit.

Do you have a better picture of her back markings - they almost look harequin to me :p

Knowing the colour of her kits could also help with her colour

As for breed her body type is rather racy and some Lion heads are more this type and she could be a mane-less one or a cross.

Other breeds with this body type are Britannia Petite, Tan and English spot but these breeds are quite rare

https://goo.gl/photos/ZijnqYcDCkxgg2iu9 Here's a younger pic of her kits' backs. I don't have many of those as they tend to be too hyper unless sleeping ... which they only did much of when they were younger.

https://goo.gl/photos/bUfz9toqm3TXJ7Qj6 here's a good one of Sweetie's back. Pardon the potty - she has odd habits and I just go with them. The dirt on the wall is beyond her reach, and is from the fish tank that was there before her.

She's got some seriously beautiful markings. And the brown kit (honeybun) has some smatterings of black along her rump... so cute. :D
https://goo.gl/photos/GBgrmgJ6nAKci6f78 again, when she was MUCH younger.

I'm also looking for a good home for two of the three (the two white ones)... I don't want to dump them at a rescue, but there are SO MANY more resources available to rescues...

She is cute! ANd I could see the black markings on the kit being potential for harlequin genes, but I am no expert. My first litter was before I had discovered RT. I bred a broken tri buck (mostly white) with a REW doe thinking I would get nearly all white offspring - imagine my surprise with the colorful litter of 11 that she ended up having! :lol: A couple of harlequins and quite a few brokens, a chestnut or two if I remember correctly (although knowing what I know now I wonder if they had harlequin markings as well).

Oh wow. That's a LOT of kits! Sweetie's 3 are partially because she's a dwarf, but we think also might have been influenced by the fact that when she'd been found, she showed clear signs of having had a litter within a week prior to having picked her up. Hence our suspicion that her previous owner was either a really bad breeder (from what I've read, it's not good on the mother to get her pregnant that soon after a litter!), or an owner that just didn't know any better... but that one's not as likely. Still an option. But there are other factors that point toward 'breeder'.

Still... the kits are healthy and CUTE as can be. :D I just was hoping to be able to provide more info for whoever adopts them, and have some extra info for myself, for fewer surprises later in life (if that's possible with bunnies!).

I suspect either Harlequin or Broken colorings for Sweetie, too - she's missing the nose markings to be 'official' with the broken coloring (sugar is missing it too, but Creampuff has a nose marking!), but it's one or the other.

And Honeybun takes after mom personality-wise. Very calm and sweet.

Breeding back does NOT hurt a doe, it is far worse to let them sit! Fat can add up and actually cause a harder labor and even stuck kits leading to death....not all you can read is a good read...search the forms for more on this....ONLY time I could see a break in breeding is due to poor condition or injury...

As far as breed, she looks like some of the "mini" rhilanders I've seen. My spelling is probably off....there was a small number working on them, its been ages since I've seen any posts on them. Was a mix of Rhilander, Netherland Dwarf, BPs, and even Polish....

Thank you for the pictures, she is definitely a broken harlequin AKA tri-colour and it looks like her solid kit got the gene and is a harequin

It think it is much more likely that someone was suppose to get two female or two male pet rabbits but one was the opposite sex and they before they knew it there were babies and the doe had already been pregnant again (the can do so immediately after giving birth) before they could seperate them - unfortunately this scenario is all too common

Back