Trunk Carrier

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So I'm going to be stuck with a car for some time, maybe indefinitely. I've been considering carriers, need to add some new ones. However, over the years the ones I've had all had their miss givings and the ones that I made just couldn't hold up with the cheap materials I used for ER situation. Conventional show carriers just don't fit nicely in and out of the back seat, I've torn fabric or tipped carriers side ways getting them out and scaring the rabbits in the process. I've even tipped them over while trying to pull middle ones to the outside so they were easier to lift and move out of the backseat. I was thinking about making a wire/plastic carrier that would fit easily into a truck of a car (in 2 or 3 sections) and easily be put onto a cart or made for them to fit rack with wheels to be moved inside. Draw backs of this? Possible problems? Would it be any worse than any other trip on them? The car's back seat folds down or the middle section folds down, so its not as if the trunk will be shut or the rabbits won't be able to be seen/checked on easily throughout rides. I also know that if some thing were to happen, like a rear ending or accident...the chances of them being terminally hurt go up a bit but not any more than any other risks(how much unsure of as I pretty much figured any wreck would do in carrier housed rabbits either from physical injury or shock). They'd be removed by opening the trunk and lifting out of course and would be secured with in the trunk so they wouldn't scoot or flip.

make sure your portable carriers fit through the back doors; often the width of the door opening isn't the same size as the clearance with the car door actually open. I found this out when stuffing a water heater into my back seat.

Can you build a rack where your rabbit carriers are tubes rather than squares? Think of a wine rack with bottles of wine in it. Your carriers could slide in and out of the "rack". <br /><br /> -- Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 pm -- <br /><br /> Here is a quick drawing of what I thought of. Not the finished project but merely a visual. If you do the pvc carriers, perhaps put straw or a towel or something to level out the floor. It's be like being in a warren tunnel!!

Attachments

• IMG_4667.JPG
    IMG_4667.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,032
I thought of some thing like that in the backseats, but leather and wire doesn't go well together lol. SO was thinking about the trunk space and using it. I like the PVC carrier idea, wonder how one would put a wire floor in them for keeping show rabbits clean? I've made the mistake of not having a wire bottom and having to try to pick out pieces of shavings in fur once I got to the show or to setup for some one to look rabbit over 0.0 Not very good looking and the rabbit usually wasn't very happy about being micro groomed again lol. Will see about a new plan, with the holiday its been busy :)

Latest posts

Back