Trimming nails.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunsetRidge

Reaction score
Looking for tips on how to trim a bunny that is less than thrilled with getting her nails trimmed any tips would greatly be appreciated.

I sit down with my legs straight and the rabbit facing me and then I roll them backward between my legs. Sometimes they do wiggle and fight a bit but if you just hold them in place and keep rolling them back upside down they usually give up quickly. Then take cat clippers to each nail. Human toenail clippers if it's a tiny young rabbit with little needle claws.

Wrap the bunny tightly in a towel , it'll keep it from struggling.

I use clippers made for dog nails , just be sure not to clip them too short or they'll bleed and can get infected.

I keep the rabbit on a solid nonslip surface and lift up each nail just enough to get the clippers, whatever type you're comfortable with, around the nail and clip. A friend of mine holds them feet up in the crook of her arm, the same way you'd hold a newborn.

3mina":35pzcero said:
I keep the rabbit on a solid nonslip surface and lift up each nail just enough to get the clippers, whatever type you're comfortable with, around the nail and clip. A friend of mine holds them feet up in the crook of her arm, the same way you'd hold a newborn.

that is how I do it, -- and if they struggle too much , I hold the head between my bicep and side firmly,with the nose pointing up, - I would also add.. that if you can't see the quick very well, [esp with black nails, ] and are afraid you may trim the nail too close, - then squeeze the clipper a little on the nail, if the rabbit jerks, you are too close, if not you can cut with out hurting them, or making the nail bleed.

Latest posts

Back