Tri Colored Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Want to get some Tri colored Standard Red. We have Red, Castor, Black, & Broken Black Rex. Can we breed something to get a Tri or do we need a Harlequin, in the mix to make this happen?

You'd need a Harlequin colored Rex to get a Tri, yes, unless you already have the Tris. You COULD breed a Harlequin breed rabbit in with the broken black, but unless you're brave I wouldn't suggest it. I love my Harlequins, but our breed's body type is kind of...terrible. It'd set you back in the quest for better rabbits.

what you want is called a Rhinelander, I have seen minirex with this color/pattern, they come from a 'pet' breeder locally, who is well in it to make 'pretty' babies.

Tri colour Rex already exist! You don't need to out cross to another breed. All you need is the ej gene and the agouti/red! The easiest way is to find a rabbit that shows the tri or a rabbit out of a tri.

@tomcatrabbitry - I am interested in Harlequins, so I was surprised you say they have terrible body type? uh-oh... I was fancying getting a couple for my fun rabbit experiments to see if I could introduce interesting colors to Belgian Hare and/or Beverens/Americans (which I was planning to get for meat stock and blue color) I used to raise Rex a long time ago and we would get Harlequins popping up - I loved them! Maybe I should look for Harlequin Rex for better type?

As for this thread, yes please don't try to breed your own Tri's - there are plenty out there already you will have a long process re-creating that luscious fur...and I believe you have to breed Tris to Tris to keep the 3-way color going but could be wrong. They do have Harlequin genetics way back there somewhere and that's the genes you need.

some harlequins do have horrid body shape. This is what happens when SO much emphasis is put on markings. Then the body can just go downhill.

GOOD harle breeders recognize the importance of the harlequin as a meat rabbit as well and breed for good type as well.

Back