Sexing Newborn kits **pics**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has been very informative! Question - do only the females have nipples? I use that method to sex some of my rodents, and was wondering if rabbits work the same way. If we can see them when they're beginning to fur up, and only the girls have them, no more hours fighting with squirmy kits while we try and get a look at their little hoo-hahs.

Thanks for posting this. I will have to take a look this afternoon and see what we have. I haven't sexed any of my current litters since they are for meat. Dh told me this morning that is we end up with our 2 BEW being buck and doe, he wants to keep them. I'll have to check and see what we have and actually be able to tell! Thanks again!

Thanks for the info on sexing the kits. All the other comments were helpful as well. I think tomorrow I will bring the nesting box in the house and see if I can sex my buns. I also want to get pictures.

great thread one acre farm thanks ive been studying your pics over the last week or two they're very helpful, i can see how much easier it would be to sex them with less fur/younger as its taken me a few attempts now to be sure as mine are all nearly 6 wks now...because i too was told not to touch the kits if pos new born...but i had to any hows as they needed to be moved and by the time my doe has the next litter she will be more used to me thus less bothered if i sex her kits/handle them at a younger stage.

All the popples are now a week old. I've written down what I believe their sex is. It's a frustrating task. Would you say the males have a larger top hole? Alot of my buns top hole seems to hang over the bottom hole. Some stand on their own. Wondering if the ones that are kinda sagging into the bottom hole are girls and the ones with the more distinctly separate is a boy. None of mine look exactly like the pictures here.

SarahMelisse":z7n8t00r said:
SterlingSatin":z7n8t00r said:
also with my blacks, the females are born with little white dots on their nipples which go away after a few days.
Sometimes I stop and think.... I learn the weirdest things here. Lol!

I really love reading past threads... not only are they helpful but a comedy relief as well!! :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol:

I am trying to sex our new babies and am not having much luck they all look the same. I think I am just going to have to post pic for help at this point. Great info though TYVM

avdpas77":1hlfx4c7 said:
It is great information, but why would one want to mess with newborns when there are several reasons not to? Not criticizing here, just curious.

sales [marketing]and breedstock plans , 2 months ahead-
I sometimes sex kits at 1 week, when I go through all the nest boxes, cleaning and removing dead kits, etc. [but- most of the time, now-a-days it doesn't mater what sex they are.]

these pictures make it look so easy.....but I still cant do it :evil: I stand there arguing with myself girl boy girl no boy I have 14 babies I want to sex they are 4 days old grrrrrr :x

bitterroot":4izfqdcg said:
Question - do only the females have nipples?
Nope, both bucks and does have it. I tried it on my litter of 4 and if that would have been true I would have had all does but I ended up with 2 does and 2 bucks.

Back