Top 10 Foods Rabbits Eat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melgo66

Reaction score
I found this really good list by SmallPetSelect on natural foods that are rabbits favorite. I haven't tried all of them with my rabbits yet but looking forward to trying some diversity in their diet now!

#1 - Carrot tops

#2 – Watercress

#3 – Celery

#4 – Dandelion greens

#5 – Kiwi fruit

#6 – Bell peppers

#7 – Fennel

#8 – Mint

#9 – Apple

#10 – Brussels sprouts

The actual original list gives a bit more info on what types and what parts of each is okay.
source: http://smallpetselect.com/rabbit-guide/what-do-rabbits-eat-top-10-favorite-foods

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Melgo66! :welcomewagon:

Giving natural foods to your rabbits can be a lot of fun for you and your bunnies. :) I'm not familiar with the safety of a couple of things on your list (watercress and fennel), but the others are fine. Make sure to start off any new food with small amounts, and increase slowly. Foods that are high in sugar (kiwi fruit) should be treats only.

A couple of notes:

Bell peppers are from the nightshade family. Be sure to feed only the fruit itself (the pepper), and no other part of the plant. Other nightshades include tomatoes, eggplants, and potatoes.

Brussels sprouts are a member of the brassicas. These can cause gas to build up in the GI system. Rabbits don't handle gas well, and it can cause them great pain or even death if they have too much too quickly. Be extra careful and slow in introducing brassicas like Brussels sprouts. They are very nutritious, but rabbits must be given ample opportunity to develop the gut flora needed to break these down safely. Other brassicas include broccoli and cabbage. Some people have raised rabbits on large amounts of cabbage. This can be done as long as the rabbits are adjusted to it.

We have a couple of threads dedicated to the safe feeding of natural foods:

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html
questions-comments-about-plant-safety-and-usesfor-rabbits-t56.html

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Melgo66! :welcomewagon:

Giving natural foods to your rabbits can be a lot of fun for you and your bunnies. :) I'm not familiar with the safety of a couple of things on your list (watercress and fennel), but the others are fine. Make sure to start off any new food with small amounts, and increase slowly. Foods that are high in sugar (kiwi fruit) should be treats only.

A couple of notes:

Bell peppers are from the nightshade family. Be sure to feed only the fruit itself (the pepper), and no other part of the plant. Other nightshades include tomatoes, eggplants, and potatoes.

Brussels sprouts are a member of the brassicas. These can cause gas to build up in the GI system. Rabbits don't handle gas well, and it can cause them great pain or even death if they have too much too quickly. Be extra careful and slow in introducing brassicas like Brussels sprouts. They are very nutritious, but rabbits must be given ample opportunity to develop the gut flora needed to break these down safely. Other brassicas include broccoli and cabbage. Some people have raised rabbits on large amounts of cabbage. This can be done as long as the rabbits are adjusted to it.

We have a couple of threads dedicated to the safe feeding of natural foods:

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html
questions-comments-about-plant-safety-and-usesfor-rabbits-t56.html

Welcome to RT!

Adding one note to what Miss M posted, be careful with mint and nursing does. Mint can cause a doe to dry up.

The leafy parts of fennel are among my favorite herbs to give rabbits. :)
Another member of the carrot family.
Especially useful for tempting buns that are refusing feed due to GI issues.

It has anti-inflamitory properties:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03468/Co ... ennel.html
Fennel contains a phytonutrient compound called anethole, the primary component of its volatile oil. This compound has been shown in animal studies to have anti-inflammatory and cancer protective effects.

Along with other digestive benefits:

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-ben ... ennel.html

Flatulence: Fennel is very popular as an antiflatulent, due to the carminative properties of the aspartic acid found in fennel. Its extract can be used by everyone, from infants to the elderly, as a way to reduce flatulence and to expel excess gas from the stomach. It is commonly used in medicines to reduce symptoms of non-ulcer dyspepsia and flatulence in infants and young children.

Diarrhea: Fennel is helpful in curing diarrhea if it is caused by bacterial infection, because some components of the essential oil in fennel such as anetol and cineole have disinfectant and antibacterial properties. Some amino acids, such as histidine, can aid in digestion and the proper functioning of the digestive system, thereby helping to eliminate diarrhea due to indigestion. Fennel has long been used by indigenous cultures as a way to eliminate diarrhea.

I have found that my off feed stasis rabbits would pretty much always willingly accept fennel before anything else.

Maybe it's part of some natural ability to self medicate, or maybe just due to fennel's sweet anise-scent?
Either way, the leaves are very safe and good. I think of it as a nice starter herb for getting rabbits accustomed to natural feeds, and would be inclined to move it more towards the top of the list. :)

The bulb part may be a bit high in sugar to allow unaccustomed rabbits to pig out on though..

Back