toe nail help please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCatcher

Reaction score
hi

well i have a question
I have a rabbit that we just got today and she has the longest toe nails i have seen on a bunny....
question is how do i trim them....i have read to use dog nail clippers...and i have a good pair of them ...i cut our dogs nails with no problem...but i dont know if a rabbit has a "quick' like a dog that you have to be careful around and not cut or ..blood....
any help would be great....as you can tell were new to rabbits...
CC

Yes, the rabbit's nails have "quick", the same as a dog's and if you cut into it, it will bleed. If the nails are white or light coloured, you should be able to see the vein. If they are dark or black it is more difficult, but doing the job in full sunlight or using a strong penlight to "candle" the nails should help. Since they are overgrown, the quick will likely extend quite far down the nail and you may not be able to take too much off the first time. My understanding is that it will gradually recede, allowing more to be taken off later, but I could be wrong about that. I always keep some styptic powder (Quick-Stop or the like, available at a feed store) handy when I have to clip nails. I rarely need it, but it gives some peace of mind, especially in a case like this.

ok thanks ...i was wondering if they were like a dog..and it sounds just like them..if a dogs nail is too long you have to cut it back slowly and let the quick wear back slowly...(think you get what i am saying...lol) and then cut again repeat..ect...so it sound like rabbits are the same....and i do have stop-bleed on hand never with out it,, so in the morning i will take a better look at this little rabbit...it has a couple issues ...nails and poopy butt...but i think i have the poopy but under control now as i am sure it was the pen they were in..it was just gross...this was a rescue rabbit...well actually 2 of them...I will find them good home in a while once i am sure they are healthy and all cleaned up...they are both very friendly...
thanks for the help.
CC

When clipping the rabbits nails,
cut the curve much like you would a Cats nail
With dark colored nails you can shine a flash-light
to see where the quick [Blood-vessel] is.
Cut close to but not into the Quick.
If you happen to nip the quick you can use cornstarch
or even flower to stem the bleeding. Often just direct pressure
is enough to stop the bleeding. It always looks worse than it is!
Cut as much as you can without cutting the quick on rabbits with
extremely overgrown nails. Go back a few days later and re-cut.
Yes, the blood vessels to recede after the first cut.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I actually like the clippers made for cats they work great on Netherlands.

Back