Register

To Vienna or Not to Vienna - that's the question

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,220.00

To Vienna or Not to Vienna - that's the question

Post Number:#1  Unread postby hotzcatz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:58 am

How do folks figure out a proper sort of breeding program? At the moment, we have very limited genetics, but some new rabbits are going to be imported so there will soon be more options. Guess it's easier to figure out a breeding program before than waiting until the last minute.

At the moment, there is a REW doe and a Vienna marked buck. They are both English angoras, which at the moment - as far as I know, don't allow brokens or Vienna marked rabbits to be shown. From these two parents, there are some solid black bucks and does, some REW does and some Vienna marked black does.

Someone is bringing in an agouti and an opal agouti buck. So, with these as the breeding base, what would be a good color to breed for? Is Blue Eyed White worthwhile to try to breed for? Should I just try for black or agouti? Should I try for one line of BEW and one line of black?

How do folks decide these things?
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,390.00

Re: To Vienna or Not to Vienna - that's the question

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ottersatin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:04 am

The colors you decide to breed for/towards is a personal choice.
How Folks decide these things is:
IMPO by seeing where the best typed rabbits are.
By using the best typed rabbits you will fix the type [or try to]
and can work on straightening out/fixing the colors later.
Ottersatin. :oldtimer:
Please visit my website: http://crescentvalley.webs.com/
Sign Guest book so I know you stopped by.
Thank you Dennis.