Tips for keeping rabbits cool?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzy

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
I am a new rabbit owner, with a buck and two does. They are currently housed in two hanging wire cages. I have found that the shed where I am keeping them (8x8, wood construction, plenty of open windows) seems hot. I've added shade by putting up patio umbrellas and tarps along the outside, which helped a lot. I also have a fan running inside the shed, and of course they have plenty of water. The weather cools down significantly in the evening, so mid-afternoon seems to be the worst of it. What else can I do to help keep my rabbits cool?

A misting system, ice bottles, or a fan blowing on the cages but not directly on the buns. <br /><br /> -- Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:55 am -- <br /><br /> A misting system, ice bottles, or a fan blowing on the cages but not directly on the buns.

Is the shed located in a shaded area - under a tree or on the shady side of a larger building? There's a big difference if the shed itself is in the shade or if it's in full sun.

Is the roof insulated? That made a huge difference in our shed.

It's mostly in full sun, so my first order of business was to provide some shade with the umbrellas and tarps.
I never noticed before how hot the shed was. My chickens live there as well, but they are let out during the day to run around, and they just follow the shade. The rabbits don't have that luxury, poor things. Now I need to get some insulation for the roof. I also froze a gallon of water and put it in front of the fan.
My son had the idea of double-bagging some water in a vacuum-seal bag, freezing it,and putting it in the cage for them to lay in. It would be more durable than a Ziplock bag. What do you think about that? Do they have enough sense to not lay on it too long and get frostbite?

I put some water in smaller soft drink plastic bottles, freeze them, and add them to the cages. I also have 12x12" ceramic tiles in their cages for them to lay on and cool off.

I am not sure I would freeze the water in bags- that thin plastic could be chewed easily.

Oh, and I just got a small mountable $10 fan for my pregnant doe. I mounted it to her cage and she loves it.

Lots of good suggestions already, but I'd like to add one. Here in Southern Ontario, heat is not usually a major problem (90 F. is a very hot day) but keeping a spray bottle of water handy can really help. You don't want it cold, just the ambient temperature.

If a rabbit seems to be suffering from the heat, mist its ears. They cool themselves through their ears, which have large veins, and the misting really helps this process. If the rabbit gets upset (and some do) mist above the rabbit and let it settle gently on him. Evaporation will do the rest.

I freeze the 1 gallon Gatorade bottles , they last thru the heat of the day even here in South Texas with temps over 100. I only use them on days where temps are above 95 , otherwise the shelter I have them in keeps them cool. Made of wood , closed on three sides (east , west & south , the house protects it from the north.) with half walls which allow air to circulate easily and plenty of air space between walls and cages using the air itself as an insulator.

I just have shade and a fan. Temps in the 90sF, with high humidity.

Like Ramjet, my rabbitry is made of wood, and enclosed east, west, and south, with the house about 50' to the north. The enclosed walls are ventilated by (roughly) 1/4" - 1/2" spaces between the fence pickets we built them from. In winter, we tack visqueen over the north side; otherwise, it is covered only by welded wire.

The shade over the rabbitry is incomplete. I plan to change that as soon as I can.

Latest posts

Back