Time passes so quickly

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixGun

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
**Lots of pics to follow**

Oh boy have I been having fun.

I've been to two shows, but have yet to find competition for my fuzz butts. I know that will change at State Convention coming up in a few weeks, and, I've created my own competition too, with the placements of our current litter.
Our first French Angora litter is almost ready to go to their new homes. They'll be 8 weeks old this week. Sigh.... And I have to say, I cannot be more thrilled with the new homes they will be going to. Two 4-H homes, a great forum member, and two local families that are just thrilled with having pet house bunnies.
I've also been having a lot of fun with all this fiber in my house. We find Angora fluff everywhere! I've been using a drop spindle, and now I've started with a wheel. So much fun.
OK, photos are next... <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 pm __________ <br /><br /> You can see more on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/sixgunangoras/

15826274_10210509583151527_2574069620567662118_n.jpg

Micky... my new Senior

15975169_10210625216962300_957408537829802998_o.jpg

3 of the little cuddle bugs

16114049_10210625233882723_5161370809206753945_n.jpg

Bunny butt

15977335_10210623966891049_7352778964465977863_n.jpg

100% Angora on a drop spindle

16143690_10210671779526335_9035301887083771001_o.jpg

Angora Merino mix on a wheel

__________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 pm __________

PSF.... SO so so true. We find it everywhere! Its lovely and hilarious. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm __________ <br /><br />
15936359_10210603079368874_2570684471085333495_o.jpg

Some rabbits just can't keep to themselves and steal little girl's apples.

16142798_1281255988579537_2438070201279442358_n.jpg

A Lynx doe that is staying home with me!

16195976_1281255978579538_563383151773791494_n.jpg

15965586_1272233009481835_1188259541426691133_n.jpg

My sire who I am just in love with. His senior coat is coming in so beautifully!

Beautiful rabbits sixgun! I love the one stealing apples, she so reminds me of my Sage bunny! <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> And nice yarn too! How did the angora do on the carder? I'm afraid to put mine through the carder very often unless it has ample staple length for fear it will just get chewed up.

I actually put this through the carder with the long staple Merino because it was almost half a pound of second cuts that I was not going to struggle with spinning. It's almost ten years old and from my first English Angora. It did not go seamlessly through, and was a bit messy, but sandwiched inbetween the two Merino and then spun any which way it would... I'm pretty happy with the result. Now.... what do I do with it, is the question.

donating it to a poor forum member who most definitely does not already have a huge hoarde of yarn is one option :mrgreen:

oohhhh shazza.... I see what you're doing there.... LOL!
I was thinking socks.... but I'm so hard on my socks, I don't want to ruin them in a month. I live on the Mexico / Arizona border, so scarves, hats, gloves... are not the best ideas. Its not enough for a blanket. I was thinking of crocheting some squares to add to a larger blanket in the future... but... hmmm.....

SixGun":33ug7n4f said:
I was thinking socks.... but I'm so hard on my socks, I don't want to ruin them in a month. I live on the Mexico / Arizona border, so scarves, hats, gloves... are not the best ideas. Its not enough for a blanket. I was thinking of crocheting some squares to add to a larger blanket in the future... but... hmmm.....

How about boot cuffs? Quick and easy to whip up, don't wear out too quickly, and accessorize any pair of boots without being too toasty! Or make a broomstick lace scarf... they're so thin and delicate looking that I don't think it would be too warm to wear on a reasonably mild morning.

And if you really produce a lot of yarn, a short throw for the couch is an excellent and cuddly addition to any home.
:popcorn:

i'm in a similar boat - i live in houston where it gets cold enough to warrant sweaters maybe 5 times a year haha. that doesn't mean i don't absolutely have a giant pile of scarves in my closet though. my husband also is fond of hand-knit beanies, and i've made a couple light and short-sleeve sweaters. one day i'll make it out of this steaming pot of heat and make use of this skill i have. having tons of thick socks and gloves right now though just isn't practical!

lately most of what i've made has been hats/scarves as gifts to people who do live where it's cold, dice bags for dnd pals, and using up scrap yarn to make scarves/hats to donate to a local homeless shelter.

I lack quantity in my home-grown fibre resources: My happy little mutts are only a little bit fluffy. And now that they're having litters, they keep taking the fluff growing over their chest and flanks and stuffing nest boxes with it, rather than letting me harvest it... *sigh* I guess the bun-lets can have it.

But I did get a yarn out of one, blended at least. I took my first harvest from Mithril and blended it with Alpaca in a concoction I've jokingly taken to calling Al-gora. (It did not invent the internet).

Yaarn.jpg

The broom handle scarf is an interesting idea to me: A spinning friend of mine from Florida made one and mailed it to me once. It's definitely a summer-scarf up here.

I would probably weave with the angora, myself. Eventually, I do want a most cuddly pillow cover, so that I might nap in luxurious splendor. But first I have to finish both my Master Spinner Program homework and the Llama Rug on my loom... :S

Edit:. Also I know what you mean about time... My litter is 5 weeks old today. Didn't they used to be 3" long pink things?!

Nymphadora":3diihosa said:
How about boot cuffs? Quick and easy to whip up, don't wear out too quickly, and accessorize any pair of boots without being too toasty!

Oooh, I like this idea.

SarniaTricia":3diihosa said:
That grey (if you had a bit more) would be lovely as a lacy wrap with gems sewn in (kinda like a wide scarf)
I imagine a lovely black evening outfit with the grey sparkly shall over it

That "blue" 100% Angora yarn is soooo lovely. It really would accent anything. And it is so soft. Spinning that on a drop spindle decided me that I must pursue my bunny hobby to a bit bigger scale. So... a wheel, a Guild, and more wire ordered to make more holes. Yup... I love it!

shazza":3diihosa said:
i'm in a similar boat - i live in houston where it gets cold enough to warrant sweaters maybe 5 times a year haha. that doesn't mean i don't absolutely have a giant pile of scarves in my closet though. my husband also is fond of hand-knit beanies, and i've made a couple light and short-sleeve sweaters. one day i'll make it out of this steaming pot of heat and make use of this skill i have. having tons of thick socks and gloves right now though just isn't practical!

lately most of what i've made has been hats/scarves as gifts to people who do live where it's cold, dice bags for dnd pals, and using up scrap yarn to make scarves/hats to donate to a local homeless shelter.

I should just give in. I mean this time of year, yes, I could use a scarf. But I want this blue / green / white yarn with me all the time. I loved that little rabbit. Heck, how weird would it really be to wear a scarf in 100 degree weather. No more strange than anything else I do I suppose. My Guild is working on a project of knitting these muffs for dementia patients. They are hand muffs filled with buttons and different fun things to touch. I've tried to explain that spinners and other bored time hand manipulators are all the rage, not just for the demented. LOL!

Ferra":3diihosa said:
I lack quantity in my home-grown fibre resources: My happy little mutts are only a little bit fluffy. And now that they're having litters, they keep taking the fluff growing over their chest and flanks and stuffing nest boxes with it, rather than letting me harvest it... *sigh* I guess the bun-lets can have it.

But I did get a yarn out of one, blended at least. I took my first harvest from Mithril and blended it with Alpaca in a concoction I've jokingly taken to calling Al-gora. (It did not invent the internet).

The broom handle scarf is an interesting idea of mine: A spinning friend of mine from Florida made one and mailed it to me once. It's definitely a summer-scarf up here.

I would probably weave with the angora, myself. Eventually, I do want a most cuddly pillow cover, so that I might nap in luxurious splendor. But first I have to finish both my Master Spinner Program homework and the Llama Rug on my loom... :S

I find that this is exactly my problem now. Quanitity. I've had to go buy Merino. Completely unsat. And what is it with these selfish does and completely ruining their prime! LOL!

I LOVE your Mithril blend. Is it strong enough for the name though? j/k

I've been asked about weaving with the Angora. It sure can be spun very thin. Does the elasticity matter at all? I don't weave, but my guild has a number of looms.

You have a lot of programs to finish. So jealous.
When is summer exactly? Just planning.... :)

Edit: I know?? Why are they these big fluffy arrogant little beasts, when they used to cuddle in my arms and sleep. I can't wait until they get older and return to that docility! LOL!

Heh. My ONLY supply issue is the faux-gora. I have about 200 lbs of mixed wool, cotton, silk, llama, alpaca, hemp, raimie, moose, quivit, linen and mohair fiber. Blends for days! Worse yet, the local supplier I found who will deliver me bulk grains for buns is also a sheep producer with fleeces. I am sampling his wares with my first order...

You probably DON'T want to get too close to my place this summer. I am new to the rabbits, but a long time spinner-weaver. So I have three looms, four wheels, a bazillion spindles and assorted accessories. These hobbies have their own acquisition disorders, akin to Rabbitosis. ;) As such my I am dutifully trying to achieve what is known as SABLE: Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.

Regarding the angora yarns, strength and weaving:. That blend was spun more with shawl knitting in mind, but it's still reasonably strong. And it is my impression from my testing so far that angora would be fine to weave with. The overall lack of elasticity would be an advantage to be honest: yarns that stretch on the loom tend to make it harder to get an even fabric. The main concern would be spinning tightly enough to keep the fibers from slipping. Angora is somewhat slick in nature. But it can't be any worse than raimie, and that's used for warp all the time.

SixGun":hzbneqck said:
So jealous of allll of THAT!!! Moose, I bet they have a great undercoat, like camel. Is it similar?

It's like baby camel, or quiviut/musk ox mostly. I only have about an ounce of it. It was a surprise discovery, so I only got to salvage a bit of it.

I am supposed to do a research project for my final Master Spinner Level... Originally I thought a study in moose yarn could be fun. Though right now I am mulling a dissertation on the properties of Angora fiber through the lifecycles of the animal... I have about 4 years to prepare/decide. :D

Edits: Spelling. Stupid phone.

shazza":2hy31s33 said:
dice bags for dnd pals
Between this and your rabbits' names... shazza you are just my kind of person! :lol:

I absolutely love all the amazing spinning/weaving/textile craft ideas coming up in this thread though! So cool!

Moose yarn sounds so incredibly cozy, if only for the thought of being cuddled by a moose. A cute moose, make all the boy moose go “moooooooo”! :rotfl:

And all this talk about guilds... I want to find one in my area, now! Ferra, how did you get started, and are there really levels to progress through, and do people teach and mentor each other, and I just have so many questions! :oops:

i didn't even know you could make yarn with moose and camel! oh my god i have to get my hands on some ; ; i miss living near a specialty yarn shop, i could spend hours in there just touching all the fantastic yarns. if i want fancy yarn i gotta buy online now...which isn't a problem but y'know. i like touching.

i want to learn to spin very badly and one of my dreams is to own some merino sheep and alpaca to spin their wool! maaaaybe angora too...but the grooming is a bit much for me. sheep seem pretty wash and wear (well, wear and shear, but y'know,) and require less daily maintenance. that's fine though, i'll just throw all my money at you guys and your wooly rabbits. i do have this incredibly floofy lionhead though..

Ferra":27tmos3s said:
I am supposed to do a research project for my final Master Spinner Level... Originally I thought a study in moose yarn could be fun. Though right now I am mulling a dissertation on the properties of Angora fiber through the lifecycles of the animal... I have about 4 years to prepare/decide. :D

I would love an analytical approach to the fiber as part of the lifecycle. Something definitive.... would be very very cool!

Nymphadora":27tmos3s said:
And all this talk about guilds... I want to find one in my area, now! Ferra, how did you get started, and are there really levels to progress through, and do people teach and mentor each other, and I just have so many questions! :oops:

I googled "guild" "fiber" and my city and found one. I had no idea there was even one, and I should have guessed! My membership fees are pretty minimal and included is full use of all the equipment, wheels, looms, dying vats, steamers, etc... AND classes, oh my the classes, with some amazing teachers.

I tell my husband I get a great deal of satisfaction from being in a Guild, even if its not the Black Brotherhood or the Thieves' Guild. LOL!

shazza":27tmos3s said:
i didn't even know you could make yarn with moose and camel! oh my god i have to get my hands on some ; ; i miss living near a specialty yarn shop, i could spend hours in there just touching all the fantastic yarns. if i want fancy yarn i gotta buy online now...which isn't a problem but y'know. i like touching.

i want to learn to spin very badly and one of my dreams is to own some merino sheep and alpaca to spin their wool! maaaaybe angora too...but the grooming is a bit much for me. sheep seem pretty wash and wear (well, wear and shear, but y'know,) and require less daily maintenance. that's fine though, i'll just throw all my money at you guys and your wooly rabbits. i do have this incredibly floofy lionhead though..

I just recently saw some camel. It was very neat!
I've had sheep. I find the Angora so much easier! You just have to have more, but... no carding, washing, and on and on..... But, you know what, I want some sheep too!!!

Yeppers, Angoras are like potato chips, ya can't have just one LOL

I started spinning on my drop spindle with my home grown angora fiber about 5 years ago and love it! Once you master the angora, sheep's wool is easy peasy!

I have also used my angora fiber for bartering for spinning tools: a set of cotton hand cards and a really nice nostepienne! And I use it for prizes on ROC Day at my spinning guild.

I currently have 2 center pull balls of angora 2ply waiting to be crocheted into winter gloves for ME!

I will say that I much prefer to spin the angora on my drop spindles rather than my wheel.

All this talk of yarns and guilds is making me dreamy!! I so need more rabbits and a a good fiber source to supply my Etsy store!

And Ferra. SABLE? That's amazing! :lol: My first fiber fest I had an adorable older woman behind me when I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy one bundle of rovings or two. She saw my struggle and laughed, and then told me, "She who dies with the most fiber wins!!"

Latest posts

Back