time of year and breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opie7441

Reaction score
My girls have Mini Rex, Dutch and Angora's, a breeding pair of each, we put the bucks in with the girls and last month, this month, nothing, no babies. Does the time of year matter? They are 4h-ers and are breeding to have rabbits to put on the table in July at fair.

You should take the girls to the bucks, does are really territorial. Also, some find it helps to take them twice in a 24 hour period, and others add things like lights or apple cider vinegar to their water. :)

Good Luck!

Heck, if all else fails, A fancy dinner, wine, soft music and candlelight
got mine shacked up again-- Somebunnies have got to get to work!!

We have them all living in the garage but a car ride might be in order. The light thing might be a biggie, even in the garage light is limited to large windows.

I was frustrated that I had gone to the trouble to bring my breeding stock indoors and have them all set up in my bedroom out of the cold and they STILL weren't breeding. After finding some studies suggesting rabbits are extremely sensitive to decreasing daylight, I started being sure to leave the light on for a minimum of 16 hours a day. Within just a few days, vulva color was showing signs of receptivity and the does were lifting for the bucks, who were also more "on their game".

IMO, it seems light is the number one factor for no babies for me. Maybe that will help you, too.

Good luck!

Thank you!! I do believe they seem "more on their game". The girls seem to feel that things are going the right way. We are leaving the lights until late and goes back on when they get up for school.

Cattle Cait":2tt4154x said:
Sometimes a ride in the car works

When I had Firstpup, my neighbor told me that putting a fussy baby on top of the clothes dryer while it is running has the same effect. It worked, too. This was before the little vibrating baby seats became common.

Back