Time for a new vet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
This sucks! I have been with the same vet for 20 years now I loved the main vet and the vet techs, and the personal feel to the office. I will say I do not like the second vet he brought on to help out, First he is a little scared of large breed dogs, and he is very condescending toward people, like we possibly couldn't diagnose a problem ourselves, especially something as a simple yeast infection in our labs ear. :roll: Sorry for the mini rant :oops: Even though I didn't like Dr. B, it was easy to arrange an appointment for Dr. M to see the dogs so that wasn't a big deal.
Then early this year the vet sold his practice to the larger clinic, VCA, Dr. M was still working there, he said it just gave him more freedom to treat patients with less paperwork for him, and gave him more time to work on the farm since he wouldn't have to be in everyday. At first not much changed other than Dr. M worked less so if I had to make an appointment that needed addressed quickly I was stuck with Dr. B. Then the office itself started to change :( first they got rid of the little pet boutique that sold toys, collars and treats, then the saltwater aquarium went, I know the tank was nothing important but it was a nice thing to look at while waiting. Today when I went in to get some flea meds, was a change that just made the place look cold and clinical... All the pictures and letters were gone. There was a wall when you came in that had letters from clients and pictures of the animals they had helped, also pics of some of the fair livestock that they had sponsored and bought at the auction. the walls were painted brown, and no longer had paintings of cats and dogs on them. Finally the biggest change of all DR. M IS GONE!!! :shock:

So now it looks like I am going to have to find a new vet, which is such a pain. I am debating on whether or not I should just switch my personal pets to a new vet and just stick with VCA for the guide dog puppies we raise, or if I should just find a vet that is willing to work with Pilot Dogs Inc as well. There are 3 other vets in the area to choose from, but the one is Dr. M's brother, (they used to practice together then split up)and as much as I liked Dr. M, his brother is not someone I like, he is like Dr. B as in he is condescending and is very pushy on what he thinks you should buy, like food supplements and even flea and heartworm meds, if you want something cheaper too bad! The other 2 vets I don't know anything about them, I think when we go to dog training tonight I am going to see if anyone has either of these two and what they think of them.

Sorry so long winded I hate change. :(

A good vet seems difficult to find. Our vet is a recent graduate and so good with our dogs - I fear she will get tired of the rural area and try to move to the city. I hope you're able to locate a vet you like, even if just for your personal pets. Good luck!

I always check to see who is working in the office the day I'll be taking my pets to the vet. This last time was enough for me. He was rude and snappy. That was until my dog got an infection from where he gave her a shot. Then he was the nicest guy in the world.

michaels4gardens":3c1da5wf said:
so-- where did "dr M' go-- was it a local move"-- or is "Dr M" really gone...

for me a good vet is the only concern-- the office is just a building-- without a good vet -- the rest is meaningless...

He retired early, he was only in his mid 50's so not very old especially considering his dad who started the practice worked until he was 80! I guess with running the family farm he just needed to slow down.

I know it was just a building and the vet himself is what really matters, it was just a shock to see it looking so cold and clinical. :(

The vet office has brought on a new vet, I have seen her once so far. I guess she is okay but they seem to have lost that friendly family vibe that was there when Dr. M ran the place. We are sticking with them for the guide dog fosters, just because it is easier they are already familiar with the way the school works and pays them.

Back