Timber rabbit hutch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catherine99

Reaction score
We are looking a getting a timber rabbit hutch for soon to purchased English Angora.

We plan to keep our rabbit outdoors. I know rabbits like to eat their "timber" hutch is there are way to reduce the damage?

A metal hutch is not option our summer weather is too hot.

Building one yourself instead of buying might be a good option.

If you decide to build, try using a durable hardwood. For example, oak would last a LOT longer than pine.

A hanging cage underneath a wooden roof is another good compromise. The bun wouldn't be able to nibble the wood, but there would still be plenty of protection from the sun.

Line the wood with hardware cloth and have wood in the cage for them to chew.

Wooden hutches are standard over here, nobody here keeps rabbits in wire cages. Gnawing is not a big deal. If wood gets soiled with urin once they will never touch it again, despite cleaning. I even painted the floor grates (which was treated with vegetable oil and roasted over fire to make it more durable) with diluted rabbit urin and rinsed them clean because sunflower oil+wood=yummy.

Also, most structures do not invite gnawing anyway, only outside corners and edges in proper height, mine only enlarge openings to boxes inside the cage, and I screw a replaceable wooden board to the lower side of the doors, there, and around the wired windows is where they gnaw most if they can easily sink their teeth into the wood. So it's not a bad idea to put the wire/hardware cloth on the inside of doors and windows, extending 1-2" from the openings.

Anyway, this was only with new hutches, even their dedicated gnawing boards are not yummy after a few months, I replace them about twice a year, just as a toy.

Back