Ticks and rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanineWild

Reaction score
Hey all, hope you're fairing well!

Brainstorming for the arrival of my rabbits in a few months, and I had a thought. I have a large fenced pen area in my yard where I let my hens roam, but theres only three chickens, and loads of room, so i thought it might be interesting to give the future buns some big safe space to roam around in when they're not actively nursing and that. The problem though- we have an extreme abundance of ticks here. As far as I've come across, there are more here than anywhere else I've been or heard of tbh. The chickens just eat them if nothing else, and the cats are getting a few, but they're usually not a big target, but how are rabbits with them? It seems that rabbits will get them (thanks google), but does it become a big issue with them, or do they mostly take care of it themselves?

If only I could get some Guinea hens to help eat them, as they apparentlylove them- but they're so noisy! XD

I have removed ticks from rabbits,
some people use ivermectin to keep them off, or some topical applications ...
--also chickens are generally immune to coccidiosis , after they are mature..
Young rabbits are very susceptible ... letting rabbits run free in these areas
that have had ,or do have poultry is often problimatic..

Ah, thanks for the info, especially about the coccidiosis. That's an element I hadn't considered. I think if I end up giving them yard time, it'll be in the main yard away from the hens to be safe.

Latest posts

Back