What kind of BOSS and whole oats for nursing doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCB

Reaction score
I've read that BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and whole oats are great for nursing does, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to buy.

The BOSS that is for birds, with the shells on, is that what everyone is buying for rabbits?

Any recommendations or links (use your Amazon affiliate links I'll click and order!) for what you guys would recommend?

I've heard of some people making little oat and BOSS balls to give to nursing mothers, any recipes anyone would like to share?

Thanks guys!

I give a pinch of the striped sunflower seeds to nursing does in winter, they love them. Oats barely, my rabbits aren't that big and small amounts of feed becomes fiddly + wastage from spoiling. However i keep mine in a stone shed, on solid flooring and in a not crazy hot or cold climate. Mostly mine don't burn that much energy keeping warm to need lots extra and for just candy it isn't worth it for me to mess with the diet.

And I'm guessing for hot climates in the summer it wouldn't be good?

Fat is considered a keep warm feed, not what you want in summer. On the other hand some endurance horses are fed a fair bit of fat for long distance energy, however both indicate a need for calories for work either keeping warm or travelling many hours. Both do not apply to a rabbit in summer (or at all).

Add to that, fat goes rancid easily in heat and spoiled feed is not safe.

And I'm guessing for hot climates in the summer it wouldn't be good?
I give my nursing does BOSS year-round, but they raise pretty big litters (up to 12) so they can really use the extra fat for milk production, even during the summer. They stay in great shape and don't lose condition that way - I just had a Satin doe fresh off a litter win Best of Breed at a big show.
I don't use BOSS at all otherwise in my meat breeds, since they put on fat easily in any other circumstance. The exception is an occasional rabbit that has lost condition for some reason and needs a bump.
I buy the big bag of shell-on seeds meant for bird feeders.

Fat is a concentrated energy source for animals just as it is for us. It greatly depends on your animal and their activity level whether they need extra fat. Activity can be thought of as not just athleticism, but also metabolic, such as keeping warm in the winter, or lactating. If there is not enough energy density in the other feed a rabbit might be able to eat as much of their ration that they can hold and still be losing weight, like you might if you ate nothing but celery and cucumbers and rice cakes--all you could eat without vomiting would not be enough, and you would still likely lose weight. Because I generally use a pelleted feed, I don't usually supplement, but in the past when I fed more scavenged greens I did feed BOSS, and for older does I have.

When we see a doe who can't keep weight on, she is usually outputting her consumed calories in the form of kits and milk, and not "saving enough" for herself. That is an example where we might want to up the fat in her diet. Some breeds may have growth spurts where they don't maintain weight and get skinny/boney and that is another time supplementation can help, as is cold weather. Other does won't get skinny, but may lose kits due to lack of milk production (they are "saving enough" for themselves at the cost of the kits). I think this is why BOSS is recommended for does specifically.

BOSS that is for birds is fine if it isn't moldy (bird feed is not always well regulated). Let the condition of the rabbit be the guide, and make changes slowly. If they are still looking skinny on 1 Tablespoon/day, up it to 1.5 or 2, if they start getting chubby, reduce.

I see Alaska Satin has just touched on this too! Sorry for the duplication, but since it is typed I will post it! :cool:

Fat is a concentrated energy source for animals just as it is for us. It greatly depends on your animal and their activity level whether they need extra fat. Activity can be thought of as not just athleticism, but also metabolic, such as keeping warm in the winter, or lactating. If there is not enough energy density in the other feed a rabbit might be able to eat as much of their ration that they can hold and still be losing weight, like you might if you ate nothing but celery and cucumbers and rice cakes--all you could eat without vomiting would not be enough, and you would still likely lose weight. Because I generally use a pelleted feed, I don't usually supplement, but in the past when I fed more scavenged greens I did feed BOSS, and for older does I have.

When we see a doe who can't keep weight on, she is usually outputting her consumed calories in the form of kits and milk, and not "saving enough" for herself. That is an example where we might want to up the fat in her diet. Some breeds may have growth spurts where they don't maintain weight and get skinny/boney and that is another time supplementation can help, as is cold weather. Other does won't get skinny, but may lose kits due to lack of milk production (they are "saving enough" for themselves at the cost of the kits). I think this is why BOSS is recommended for does specifically.

BOSS that is for birds is fine if it isn't moldy (bird feed is not always well regulated). Let the condition of the rabbit be the guide, and make changes slowly. If they are still looking skinny on 1 Tablespoon/day, up it to 1.5 or 2, if they start getting chubby, reduce.

I see Alaska Satin has just touched on this too! Sorry for the duplication, but since it is typed I will post it! :cool:
I give my nursing does BOSS year-round, but they raise pretty big litters (up to 12) so they can really use the extra fat for milk production, even during the summer. They stay in great shape and don't lose condition that way - I just had a Satin doe fresh off a litter win Best of Breed at a big show.
I don't use BOSS at all otherwise in my meat breeds, since they put on fat easily in any other circumstance. The exception is an occasional rabbit that has lost condition for some reason and needs a bump.
I buy the big bag of shell-on seeds meant for bird feeders.
Fat is considered a keep warm feed, not what you want in summer. On the other hand some endurance horses are fed a fair bit of fat for long distance energy, however both indicate a need for calories for work either keeping warm or travelling many hours. Both do not apply to a rabbit in summer (or at all).

Add to that, fat goes rancid easily in heat and spoiled feed is not safe.
Thank you all for the great recommendations.
Only have 4 kits (5 born but one escaped before we got baby saver wire) and this is our first litter, at 6 and a half weeks average weight is 1lb 9oz so we were worried they weren't getting enough milk, the kits have been eating pellet and hay as well though.

The doe isn't losing any weight and seems fine, just wasn't sure if it's the heat or why the kits were smaller.

Looks like I'll probably save the boss for winter or like y'all have said if any start losing weight.

For oats, you can always give her a bit of rolled oats - regular Quaker oats that are unflavored. Doesn't have to be a lot. Same with the sunflower seeds, doesn't have to be a lot. Keep an eye on her condition, if she loses too much weight, then higher nutrition while she's feeding a litter.

Back