Websites

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I used the 7 squares water containers I have, so this is perfect timing! And so much less expensive! I paid $36 for 6. I can raid my pantry for those containers because I repurposed them.

I'll be buying the mineral lick tomorrow.

I built 4 different nesting boxes. I like the smallest one for the large cage , but the other nesting boxes are 2x the size (I thought the first one I made would be too small). They work well on keeping the kits in longer during the winter. I was one short so I used a tote....They love that. I like the fact that I can easily slide it forward, pop the lid and look in. However, I would use a smaller tote if I did it again.

I like the shelves. When my rabbits run free they jump on anything and everything to say hi to the others. I use a lot of the mayo containers to hold dog food, rabbit food, my supplies. Even pizza places that make ranch have them.

lol@frugal.... that's my middle name! You also might just put out an iso ad on craigslist if you use it. : iso empty cat litter boxes.(whatever you call them Johnny cat boxes?) I have one full of rocks.
Cat litter boxes make great nest boxes - I've had 10+ lb rabbits use them with no problems. In the winter I hang a towel scrap over the opening, so it stays warmer. Now I have very large, closed boxes, so should be nicer for them. I lost 4 kits last time from them falling out of the regular standard wooden nestboxes. Very sad! I'm hoping with a side entry, they will be able to get back in if they get dragged out ... ? I don't know, but last time I raised rabbits 40 years ago, I had side entry boxes & no problems. So, fingers crossed.

Yeah, I ended up buying an extra set of the waterers because they are so cheap right now. They do hold up really well, biggest problem is that I lose the little plastic nut when I'm moving them around. Or the spring if the rabbit pulls it off. I've only ever had them pull the cup off if they run out of water - they get desperate. Can't blame 'em.

Thanks for the good ideas to find more frugal stuff!! I'm working on an article for making really nice little hay racks out of a dollar store basket. I took the pics ages ago, and never get around to it. Well the pics aren't great either, so I keep thinking I'll take new ...

Last edited:
Cat litter boxes make great nest boxes - I've had 10+ lb rabbits use them with no problems. In the winter I hang a towel scrap over the opening, so it stays warmer. Now I have very large, closed boxes, so should be nicer for them. I lost 4 kits last time from them falling out of the regular standard wooden nestboxes. Very sad! I'm hoping with a side entry, they will be able to get back in if they get dragged out ... ? I don't know, but last time I raised rabbits 40 years ago, I had side entry boxes & no problems. So, fingers crossed.

Yeah, I ended up buying an extra set of the waterers because they are so cheap right now. They do hold up really well, biggest problem is that I lose the little plastic nut when I'm moving them around. Or the spring if the rabbit pulls it off. I've only ever had them pull the cup off if they run out of water - they get desperate. Can't blame 'em.

Thanks for the good ideas to find more frugal stuff!! I'm working on an article for making really nice little hay racks out of a dollar store basket. I took the pics ages ago, and never get around to it. Well the pics aren't great either, so I keep thinking I'll take new ...
I made my hay bins out of metal holders from the $1.25 ,but I think the squares were too big so hay drops out of the outside I also picked up plastics pet mats (for food dishes)for the rabbits to rest on. The rabbits like them and they are washable. Only 1 of my nest box was standard. I made every design different to see how they worked;which style I liked best. 3 have a resting board across the top. Definitely a plus. A side entry would be good. Continously learning new things! Thank you for sharing!

Latest posts

Back