Plucking a rabbit.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks so scrumptious! I don't think I can convince hubby to pluck a rabbit. I wonder how much hair you could get out with duct tape?!?! Perhaps applying it in a single strip at a time, then pulling against the grain. (Before opening the ab cavity.) And I also wonder how much would simply get singed into oblivion on the grill... hmmm...

Pork fat? FOR REAL?!?! We are major lard lovers here... I can't imagine rabbit fat tasting like pork, but I'm intrigued!

LPH_NY":330k8es2 said:
Pork fat? FOR REAL?!?! We are major lard lovers here... I can't imagine rabbit fat tasting like pork, but I'm intrigued!

Well, not quite AS good as bacon, or ham fat, but something about the campfire smoke and marinade definitely made it a lot better than I was expecting.

This is great!! Good job!! It really looks delicious. Continue to keep us updated. Really appreciate what you are doing!!

As you said the skin was rubbery, I wonder if you just shaved the rabbit and cooked it and then gave the skin to the dogs?

I did some guinea pigs and they were VERY pork like. Scalded and fried them. Very good.

As we love rabbit fat an extra layer for added moistness would be a plus but perhaps not balanced against loosing the usable pelt?

Uhh, that's great! :p

I'm somewhat stupid because I won't discard the pelts, but tan them, a lot of work, although I already have a nice stack and little use for them...

That would change that tic of me not to throw good things away :lol:, always felt bad about all that fat on the skin anyway...

Preitler":3shoinbc said:
Uhh, that's great! :p

I'm somewhat stupid because I won't discard the pelts, but tan them, a lot of work, although I already have a nice stack and little use for them...

That would change that tic of me not to throw good things away :lol:, always felt bad about all that fat on the skin anyway...

I dont mind plucking a rabbit. I have no use for the skin so there's that. Climate is warm all year round, so its not like i can use them for clothing. So for my purpose the skin is a waste product. It would be better for me to pluck the rabbit.

I am fairly familiar with rabbit rearing and processing but something popped in my mind that I can't find the answer to. I know how to skin a rabbit, that's easy. What I want to know is, is there an easy way to pluck a rabbit so that the skin remains? Is there an established procedure for doing so? Can someone explain how to do this or Is there a machine one can use to do this? The reason I ask is that I want to grill the rabbit but it is better with the skin on.
you keep the skin on by putting fire to the fur and then scrapping it. watch this video showing you how

I have always wanted to try this, I saw the same video years ago but haven't done it.
You can also use boiling hot water and then plucking just like a chicken. I think this method is more traditional around the world but more time consuming than using blow torch. Either method leaves you with a tastier rabbit with skin on

Latest posts

Back