Pedigree Regulations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you'd want to know about a rabbit background wise : date of birth, color genetics (abcde letters as far as known), adult weight. Foto would be nice, but printing in color is more expensive. Spend the extra money on laminating the pedigree instead.
For yourself also : number of kits per litter, but some data will change as the bunny ages incl. on the parents if they are still in your rabbitry.
So permanent data would be : date of birth, color genetics as known, adult weight.
Pedigree from what i recall is 3 generations, but even just parents will tell you something and you'll have to start somewhere.
I suspect there are blanc forms for this floating around the internet somewhere. Or enough examples to make your own.

You do not need to have any pedigree at all to be allowed to sell rabbits. If you want to sell "pedigreed" rabbits, the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) sells a book of blank rabbit pedigrees. https://arba.net/product/arba-pedigree-book/ Simply fill in the blanks. A pedigree is simply a list of three generations of ancestors. However, to be considered a purebred 'pedigreed' rabbit, all of the ancestors should be of the same breed. For the pedigree to make the rabbit eligible for registration should the buyer desire to do so, all of the blanks on the pedigree form need to filled out. Each generation needs a rabbit's name, ear tattoo, weight and color.

All rabbits to be pedigreed or registered must have a tattoo in the right ear to identify it--you get to pick what you want for the tattoo, you can use tattoo tongs with pre-needled letters and numbers, or one of the tattoo pens where you write in the tattoo letters/numbers yourself. Some just use a short version of the rabbit's name, I use a code with a letter that is the first letter of my rabbitry name, then a number that is the last digit in the year that rabbit was born, and then I number the kits in order of birth. Others use a code letter for each of the parents and then a number for which kit in the litter, you can choose anything you want that means something to you.

For registration, (which is not required to be "pedigreed") ARBA requires that the rabbit be at least six months old, and have a "complete three generation pedigree". The rabbit can be taken to a sanctioned ARBA show that has a registrar, the registrar will check the rabbit over to be sure it meets weight and conformation/color requirements, you will include a pedigree with the registration application, and pay a $6 fee. If the rabbit meets the ARBA standard for that breed, they will tattoo the left ear.

You do not need to have any pedigree at all to be allowed to sell rabbits. If you want to sell "pedigreed" rabbits, the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) sells a book of blank rabbit pedigrees. https://arba.net/product/arba-pedigree-book/ Simply fill in the blanks. A pedigree is simply a list of three generations of ancestors. However, to be considered a purebred 'pedigreed' rabbit, all of the ancestors should be of the same breed. For the pedigree to make the rabbit eligible for registration should the buyer desire to do so, all of the blanks on the pedigree form need to filled out. Each generation needs a rabbit's name, ear tattoo, weight and color.

All rabbits to be pedigreed or registered must have a tattoo in the right ear to identify it--you get to pick what you want for the tattoo, you can use tattoo tongs with pre-needled letters and numbers, or one of the tattoo pens where you write in the tattoo letters/numbers yourself. Some just use a short version of the rabbit's name, I use a code with a letter that is the first letter of my rabbitry name, then a number that is the last digit in the year that rabbit was born, and then I number the kits in order of birth. Others use a code letter for each of the parents and then a number for which kit in the litter, you can choose anything you want that means something to you.

For registration, (which is not required to be "pedigreed") ARBA requires that the rabbit be at least six months old, and have a "complete three generation pedigree". The rabbit can be taken to a sanctioned ARBA show that has a registrar, the registrar will check the rabbit over to be sure it meets weight and conformation/color requirements, you will include a pedigree with the registration application, and pay a $6 fee. If the rabbit meets the ARBA standard for that breed, they will tattoo the left ear.
A rabbit does not have to have an ear tattoo to be pedigreed.

Latest posts

Back