New to Tanning; salvageable for dog chews?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Tree Farm

Reaction score
Hi!

I have used the pickling method with mixed results but more good than bad,and it's a method that fits well into the rest of my daily life. My sources for info have been YouTube and tiktok and homesteader blogs and I find the ratio of salt:alum:water to vary wildly.

Also the number of soaks. Some say one and done and others do a couple, fleshing in between.

I have just ruined a beautiful fur off a mature broken black doe, only one like it I had, and I believe my first solution was too weak as it was previously used, and the second too strong and I also got busy building a hoophouse rabbit barn and left it in way too long. It now has bald spots 🙄

All that said, can I turn this hide into dog chews? I've seen it talked about but never found a specific how to.

Thanks in advance, Ange

I think dog chews are usually made from rawhide. That said, I don't think any remaining alum is likely to irritate your doggies insides, but you might want to do a bit of looking around before you try it. It does get used in small amounts, in cooking & pickling, so...

Raw feeders sometimes maintain that the fur/feathers act for doggies as fiber does for humans. I do partly raw feed my dogs, but I'm hesitant to give them the feathers. I wouldn't worry as much about the fur, b/c we frequently see coyote droppings on the trails, so full of fur you can barely tell what they are. So... if the 'yotes can manage it, I expect the "tame" pups can, too.

I'd love to see pics of your hoophouse rabbit barn, and any construction shots you might have, too.

rinse rinse rinse and then yes, dogs will love it. It is better than the polyfill bat in some dog toys, and will not cause damage if eaten.

That said, young pups are dumb, so I would consider how likely your pup is to try to swallow it whole. They will survive such stupidity, but it is rarely pleasant, so cutting into smaller pieces can be better.

If it were me I would make about 4 strips, and tie each one in a knot and put it on a rope tug, or thread it into a hollow beef bone. Instant chaos! My dog will go insane, I have to hide the pelts I want to keep or he will destroy them in minutes.

rinse rinse rinse and then yes, dogs will love it. It is better than the polyfill bat in some dog toys, and will not cause damage if eaten.

That said, young pups are dumb, so I would consider how likely your pup is to try to swallow it whole. They will survive such stupidity, but it is rarely pleasant, so cutting into smaller pieces can be better.

If it were me I would make about 4 strips, and tie each one in a knot and put it on a rope tug, or thread it into a hollow beef bone. Instant chaos! My dog will go insane, I have to hide the pelts I want to keep or he will destroy them in minutes.
Great idea!

Mine isnt a swallower but i am still cautious. Theres a first time for everything!

Should i dry it naturally or put it in the dehydrator?

I think dog chews are usually made from rawhide. That said, I don't think any remaining alum is likely to irritate your doggies insides, but you might want to do a bit of looking around before you try it. It does get used in small amounts, in cooking & pickling, so...

Raw feeders sometimes maintain that the fur/feathers act for doggies as fiber does for humans. I do partly raw feed my dogs, but I'm hesitant to give them the feathers. I wouldn't worry as much about the fur, b/c we frequently see coyote droppings on the trails, so full of fur you can barely tell what they are. So... if the 'yotes can manage it, I expect the "tame" pups can, too.

I'd love to see pics of your hoophouse rabbit barn, and any construction shots you might have, too.
I would love to share! It cost me about 150 bucks...if that. I purchased 3 cattle panels and a big box of deck screws...everything else was salvaged.

I will post it in another thread.

Great idea!

Mine isnt a swallower but i am still cautious. Theres a first time for everything!

Should i dry it naturally or put it in the dehydrator?
that depends on your local humidity levels. If it is likely to mold I would use the dehydrator, but if you have a reasonably dry or breezy area you should be able to just hang them up. Unlike rawhide, they wont draw excessive attention from critters, but a hot garage or a sunny clothesline might do the trick. I always do the first hang indoors over a shower bar until it stops dripping, and then If I am breaking the hide I put it in a no-heat dryer, but since you don't care if it is soft you should be able to just hang it wherever!

Latest posts

Back