Hyper Vigilant Quarantine Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AShelBunny

Reaction score
Why are his ears droopy?

He's eating and drinking and normal.

Brand new just bought him yesterday and I didn't notice his ears drooping like this when we picked him up?

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-28-12-10-14-050.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-28-12-10-14-050.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024-01-28-07-39-01-884.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-28-07-39-01-884.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Droopy ears in non-droppy eared breeds can be a sign the rabbit is not feeling well, and can be from many things. Heat, dehydration, GI tract issues, stress, depression . . .

Rabbits overheat easily, and should have easy access to fresh cool water, deep and well ventilated shade, and cool things to lay on to help regulate body temps. Many rabbits who are hot will retreat to an underground den or a cool place to rest. A box in the sun is an oven, unventilated in the shade is still an oven. Their ears will droop, starting at the tips if they spend too much time in the sun, and cannot retreat to get cooled off.

Rabbits who are dealing with dehydration, gut imbalances, stomach aches, etc . . .could also express their illness with drooping ears.

In my barn, even a droopy tip to an erect ear is reason for concern. We pay extra attention to any droopy ears, and treat it like an early warning sign, and try to remedy the issue asap.

We would be checking the belly for bloating, checking the poops for moisture or odd shaping. We would remove all food sources except water and hay for the day and see if it helped.

I would remove the rabbit from access to direct sunlight, and offer the rabbit a cool place to rest with plenty of airflow. Sometimes rabbits sunbathe, but it can over heat them, causing droopy ears until the rabbit cools off. Sun bathing and not drinking enough water can cause dehydration, which will also present with droopy ears.

We do not have sick rabbits often, but in our experiences, droopy tips in non droopy ears is an early sign of a rabbit who is not feeling well in some way.

Droopy ears in non-droppy eared breeds can be a sign the rabbit is not feeling well, and can be from many things. Heat, dehydration, GI tract issues, stress, depression . . .

Rabbits overheat easily, and should have easy access to fresh cool water, deep and well ventilated shade, and cool things to lay on to help regulate body temps. Many rabbits who are hot will retreat to an underground den or a cool place to rest. A box in the sun is an oven, unventilated in the shade is still an oven. Their ears will droop, starting at the tips if they spend too much time in the sun, and cannot retreat to get cooled off.

Rabbits who are dealing with dehydration, gut imbalances, stomach aches, etc . . .could also express their illness with drooping ears.

In my barn, even a droopy tip to an erect ear is reason for concern. We pay extra attention to any droopy ears, and treat it like an early warning sign, and try to remedy the issue asap.

We would be checking the belly for bloating, checking the poops for moisture or odd shaping. We would remove all food sources except water and hay for the day and see if it helped.

I would remove the rabbit from access to direct sunlight, and offer the rabbit a cool place to rest with plenty of airflow. Sometimes rabbits sunbathe, but it can over heat them, causing droopy ears until the rabbit cools off. Sun bathing and not drinking enough water can cause dehydration, which will also present with droopy ears.

We do not have sick rabbits often, but in our experiences, droopy tips in non droopy ears is an early sign of a rabbit who is not feeling well in some way.
This was so informative! I will check on him again.

How's your rabbit doing? Any sign of improvement?
His ears are still a little floppy but I'm wondering if that's just how they are?

I see him drink and eat.

He's - so far - the coolest rabbit I've ever known.

He comes and has me pet his head! He eats from my hand!
He's so calm and chill I've come out there to see if he's dead but he's already so relaxed and adjusted!

I told my husband he might become my new best friend and move into the house. I love this guy!

I emailed the breeder and was like "how did you make him so awesome?" I want all my rabbits to be like him!

That's good to hear! Keep an eye on him just in case, but if you've thoroughly examined him and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong...potentially he's just been born that way!

However...we may need to see more pictures of your rabbit. You know...to verify of his level of cuteness is all natural and perfectly healthy of course! Not at all because we just want more bunny pictures!

;)📷🐇

I know the video is poor quality but here he is.

We've had to make changes to the cage as he's in it... And he always comes and checks my husband's work. Lol

But I watched him to see he knows how to use the bottle water.

All seems well so far.

Attachments

• VID_2024-02-01-10-27-52-360.mp4
    34.9 MB

Latest posts

Back