Grass

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiftbug2

Reaction score
I'm looking to start adding grass to my rabbits diet from the lawn. Gonna start with a handful a day and more in time. I'll be cutting it with a reel mower so no issues with fermentation from the heat of a mower. What info I'm looking for is about drying and storing the grass for use later on. How long should I dry in the sun for and how should it be stored to prevent mold?

How to make hay somewhat depends on your local climate. Here I let it dry for 2-3 days. I cut it with a scythe, spread it, turn it over once or twice a day, rake it to lines in the evening so dew doesn't make it wet again, and start all over the next day, sans cutting. Dry, sunny days with at least a breeze blowing are best. Even when it feels brittle dry the first day, it needs at least another, I think there's water in the cells that takes some time to get out. If the air is dry and warm imho it is even better to put it in the shade after a few hours and let it dry out there.
Once dried and stored, check the next day if it still feels dry in the center of the pile the next days, if not or if it gets warm there keep drying it.
It's some try and error necessery, depending on what you mow, local climate and resources.

I either store it in an airy shed (mine isn't optimal for that) or press it to bales when completly dry with a simple DIY manual press, the bales are stored under the sheds roof, off the floor and away from walls to avoid condensation.
Smaller batches, like nettles, apple leaves, and other treats, get just loosly stuffed into open cardboard boxes after drying.

Attachments

• Ballenpresse6.jpg
    Ballenpresse6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
How to make hay somewhat depends on your local climate. Here I let it dry for 2-3 days. I cut it with a scythe, spread it, turn it over once or twice a day, rake it to lines in the evening so dew doesn't make it wet again, and start all over the next day, sans cutting. Dry, sunny days with at least a breeze blowing are best. Even when it feels brittle dry the first day, it needs at least another, I think there's water in the cells that takes some time to get out. If the air is dry and warm imho it is even better to put it in the shade after a few hours and let it dry out there.
Once dried and stored, check the next day if it still feels dry in the center of the pile the next days, if not or if it gets warm there keep drying it.
It's some try and error necessery, depending on what you mow, local climate and resources.

I either store it in an airy shed (mine isn't optimal for that) or press it to bales when completly dry with a simple DIY manual press, the bales are stored under the sheds roof, off the floor and away from walls to avoid condensation.
Smaller batches, like nettles, apple leaves, and other treats, get just loosly stuffed into open cardboard boxes after drying.
Live in Florida so climate is hot and humid most of the year. My location is rarely without a breeze and the sun can be brutal. I'll practice with small batches. I assume if it's gonna rain then cover with a tarp

Live in Florida so climate is hot and humid most of the year. My location is rarely without a breeze and the sun can be brutal. I'll practice with small batches. I assume if it's gonna rain then cover with a tarp
The humidity is a killer. If you are making lawn sized clippings, I would spread it in the sun on a sheet or similar OFF the ground so that air can move around it, and yes, cover if it is going to rain. To prevent mold in the PNW we sometimes add a little plain rock salt to stacked baled hay if it was baled and got damp at all--I don't know if that is a practice that works in tropical humidity, but I suspect it would. I would, in your climate, opt to bag small quantities in breathable sacks like pillow cases and hang it from rafters in the garage or similar, and I might throw a small handful of rock salt in on top of the hay as insurance.

The wind will really help, we used to bale a full two weeks before everyone else in our area because we lived on a sloping land that got tons of wind rather on the flat in the valley. Our hay was greener and better because it dried faster and could be cut younger.

I'm in NW Arkansas, also very, very humid and hot summers. However, there is a BUNCH of hay bailing around here so I guess if you do it right it still works. I think part of the trick may be the kind of grass you have and to not cut the grass too short because that would make it more likely to pack down and not dry properly. I use a push, reel mower too and usually let the grass get about 10 inches high before cutting it. My grass is mainly tall fescue which is a wide blade, coarse grass and dries out pretty quickly. @Preitler has a good technique.

Grass clippings are different than making hay.

You need sun, heat, and air movement to get the hay dried after it's cut. Grass clippings are little tiny pieces and you'll have to be turning and stirring it to get the air movement through it.

On a small scale it's much easier to just feed it fresh. If you want to try storing it as dry hay you'll be better off leaving it to grow and cutting it with a scythe. Storing it like an old hay rick in a stack.

When feeding fresh remember that this is forage growing in the ground and you will have to be watchful of internal parasites. The shorter the forage is, the more likely there is parasites. The larva live mainly at 4in and lower in the grass canopy.

I buy whole bales for $7 of Timothy or Alfalfa, completely dry and very tightly packed. So working with grass is not practical in terms of comparison for me. I realize that it may be for you though... That being said, I would check the nutritional content of your grass type just to be aware.

I do however work with all sorts of other fodder and dry it on the cement driveway, in the sun, on a black billboard vinyl. In fact, I dry bunny pellets like that before selling too.

Latest posts

Back