Give rabbit electrolytes before/after giving birth??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all I have 2 does due on Friday. I have never had a litter in the summer before so I want to make sure they stay hydrated. I read something online about giving them electrolytes before or after they give birth. I went to my local TSC but they didn't have any for bunnies. They said maybe try Pedialytes for them. Would you recommend doing this? Just trying to help my girls out in this heat!

I do not think it is necessary. Rabbits do not sweat. They pant, and if really stressed they pant until their chest is wet with drool. If you have that level of heat stress, you need to do something more--fans, shade, ice blocks, misters, etc.

If you are concerned that your rabbits are not drinking enough, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in their water does seem to taste good to them, but mostly I think it just makes owners feel better without actually doing much good or bad for the rabbit.

I do not think it is necessary. Rabbits do not sweat. They pant, and if really stressed they pant until their chest is wet with drool. If you have that level of heat stress, you need to do something more--fans, shade, ice blocks, misters, etc.

If you are concerned that your rabbits are not drinking enough, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in their water does seem to taste good to them, but mostly I think it just makes owners feel better without actually doing much good or bad for the rabbit.
Okay thankyou. :) They already have fans, shade and ice but it is in the 90s here so want to make sure they don't get to hot because I won't be back till probably the day after they have them. 😕

Latest posts

Back