Thoughts on these two?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are my son's two rabbits. One is a Creme d'Argent doe he bought with his own money, the other a mixed breed kit (buck - 1/2 NZW) that he chose from a past litter. The buck is a little guy, around 4 lbs. The doe was about 6.5 lbs last time I weighed her, but I think she's gotten bigger since then. Just curious body type and things - I actually just bred the two of them out of pure curiosity... this would be her first litter (she's about 6 months old).

(weak shoulders?)

<br /><br /> __________ Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:35 pm __________ <br /><br /> The little buck is growing on me... at first I really just wanted him gone to free up cage space (I knew he would be a little smaller, but 4 lbs??) - his coloring is actually quite pretty, and he is turning out to be a sweetheart of a rabbit. Then reading the one thread about bigger not always being better (it's more about ratios), I though it might be worth it to give him a shot.

I can see the appeal in that creme. I would love to have some of that coloration in my genes but that's pretty small. I agree in theory about ratio and feed conversion vs overall weight (which is part of the reason I'm playing around with some rex genes) but that may be just too small to even experiment with. Would love to know how it goes if you track your feed conversion!

If you can get them properly posed that'd help. So back feet under knees, front under eyes, or as close as you can get.

Based on the pics provided, the buck looks long in shoulder, and not the best depth.

Doe is too far off to judge at all.

Just my opinion.

CochinBrahmaLover":zffzw60h said:
If you can get them properly posed that'd help. So back feet under knees, front under eyes, or as close as you can get.

Based on the pics provided, the buck looks long in shoulder, and not the best depth.

Doe is too far off to judge at all.

Just my opinion.

I'm good to get them like this ;) - posing is something that I haven't messed with at all so they don't have a clue... I just tried to at least get them squished up a bit... <br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:18 pm __________ <br /><br />
Rabbitdog":zffzw60h said:
I can see the appeal in that creme. I would love to have some of that coloration in my genes but that's pretty small. I agree in theory about ratio and feed conversion vs overall weight (which is part of the reason I'm playing around with some rex genes) but that may be just too small to even experiment with. Would love to know how it goes if you track your feed conversion!
She's beautiful! I love her coloring...

The little buck looks like a harequinized chestnut :) so youre going to get some harlequins in the litter :D

They both look like solid little rabbits, sometimes the growth rate can be a bit slow on Cremes and dwarf crosses, I lucked out that my Mini Lop bloodline tends to be more than half grown by 8 weeks

Dood":2q6ydam0 said:
The little buck looks like a harequinized chestnut :) so youre going to get some harlequins in the litter :D

They both look like solid little rabbits, sometimes the growth rate can be a bit slow on Cremes and dwarf crosses, I lucked out that my Mini Lop bloodline tends to be more than half grown by 8 weeks
I have contemplated crossing him with the NZW that I know has stronger harlequin genes in her to see what I get - so many options! Her first litter was 2 harlequins and quite a few broken tris (I think that's what they are called?) and 2 chestnuts. Maybe the 3/4 NZW kits would mean better growth with a little extra color? Hopefully not all chestnuts though :roll:

He has a distinct color difference in his face so most definitely harlequinized chestnut. It was much more subtle as a kit but is beautiful (to me anyway!) now! <br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> A sampling of kits from that Doe mentioned above with this buck's dad.

This was my first introduction to harlequins - I thought it was so neat!

Adorable!

If you can get them on a solid flooring it's helpful. Sometimes they fight.

I agree they'll make good meat rabbits though.

Back