Thoughts on a three year old bunny from craigslist

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br'er

Reaction score
There's a person locally who is rehoming their holland who is 3 years old. Apparently this was a show bunny who turned in to a pet and now they don't have time for him anymore. Trying to decide if we should adopt this guy or wait. Any red flags that I should watch out for? They tattooed the bunny's name in his ear. Is that a normal thing? <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:50 am __________ <br /><br /> This is a picture of him.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,493
Normal health check over is needed, look at what he's been fed. He actually looks like a good headed holland lop. I like how wide his ears are at the bottom and the shape of his head, he's at his maturity in growth too so what you see is what you get. What kind of personality does he have? Any cage quirks? Have they had him altered? Have they given him BunnyVac? Ask all the normal questions. Did he show well? Was he purchased as a pet or was he sold with his pedigree/any other papers from the show? Does he have good teeth, nails, etc? Is he of good weight or is he a bigger holland or? Is he a picky eater? Does he do well with moving stress? Has he ever had any GI problems or other health issues? Is he inside only now, litter trained? Are you wanting him just for a pet or ? He looks like he'd make a nice pet, pending the answers to the questions of course. He definately looks like a sweety :) Could be a good parts buck, depending on how he looked set up and all. He's not the worst I've seen considered for show but not the best either. He looks like he has good bone, good wide head, wide body, and good ears/head set but other things can't really tell with out him set up (even the "good" points may be off once he's set up, picture angles and distances can make some things look better than they really are). I do not know what your looking for overall, can't recall other posts.

I would take a really close look at his eyes. The picture makes it look like he has a bit of weepy eye or agitated eye issue. This may or may not be the case, could be he got food dust in it or bit of water on his face right before the picture too. The whole idea is to check him over with your hands and eyes in person before agreeing to take him, to make sure he is healthy and what he is pictured to be.

Tattooing is a must for show rabbits to be shown and (in my opinion) any one keeping good records will tattoo all the rabbits they sell or have leave. The only exception I can see is ones that are going to a meat buyer, but even then I prefer to see them tattooed. Why? Well you have a person that is dedicated to keeping a good solid record system (in most cases, not always as there is exceptions), rabbit is easily identified should some thing happen and need to, proof of ownership if need be (take pictures and notes of ear numbers), and allows the rabbit to be shown in shows (if tattooed correctly). Mostly it is to help keep accurate records and show what rabbit is from what pairing/breeding AND showing. It is no worse than having a person's ears pierced and some times not even that with the numbing spray they have out these days.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3p6y7qbi said:
Normal health check over is needed, look at what he's been fed. He actually looks like a good headed holland lop. I like how wide his ears are at the bottom and the shape of his head, he's at his maturity in growth too so what you see is what you get. What kind of personality does he have? Any cage quirks? Have they had him altered? Have they given him BunnyVac? Ask all the normal questions. Did he show well? Was he purchased as a pet or was he sold with his pedigree/any other papers from the show? Does he have good teeth, nails, etc? Is he of good weight or is he a bigger holland or? Is he a picky eater? Does he do well with moving stress? Has he ever had any GI problems or other health issues? Is he inside only now, litter trained? Are you wanting him just for a pet or ? He looks like he'd make a nice pet, pending the answers to the questions of course. He definately looks like a sweety :) Could be a good parts buck, depending on how he looked set up and all. He's not the worst I've seen considered for show but not the best either. He looks like he has good bone, good wide head, wide body, and good ears/head set but other things can't really tell with out him set up (even the "good" points may be off once he's set up, picture angles and distances can make some things look better than they really are). I do not know what your looking for overall, can't recall other posts.

I would take a really close look at his eyes. The picture makes it look like he has a bit of weepy eye or agitated eye issue. This may or may not be the case, could be he got food dust in it or bit of water on his face right before the picture too. The whole idea is to check him over with your hands and eyes in person before agreeing to take him, to make sure he is healthy and what he is pictured to be.

Tattooing is a must for show rabbits to be shown and (in my opinion) any one keeping good records will tattoo all the rabbits they sell or have leave. The only exception I can see is ones that are going to a meat buyer, but even then I prefer to see them tattooed. Why? Well you have a person that is dedicated to keeping a good solid record system (in most cases, not always as there is exceptions), rabbit is easily identified should some thing happen and need to, proof of ownership if need be (take pictures and notes of ear numbers), and allows the rabbit to be shown in shows (if tattooed correctly). Mostly it is to help keep accurate records and show what rabbit is from what pairing/breeding AND showing. It is no worse than having a person's ears pierced and some times not even that with the numbing spray they have out these days.

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail. This is very helpful! I'm looking for a healthy pet bunny. We don't have any plans to show him, but current owner did show him once and does have his birth certificate and pedigree. My main concern is purchasing from someone on craigslist and this being our first bunny experience. Just making sure I'm covering all the bases and know what to ask and look for. Thanks again!

Welcome, they may not be able to answer all of those questions, but its worth a shot. The more you know, the more you can watch. If you decide to go meet him, watch to see how he interacts with his current owners and things in general. Is he curious and comes up to meet? Does he stay behind them or near them? Does he seem comfortable with being handled by them? Does he protest about being picked up ect? Some rabbits just aren't cuddle bunnies, actually I've had just a handful that loved being picked up all of my others tolerate my handling and setting up. If you do get him, he may take a while to warm up and need some work...after all they are prey animals and generally think every thing is going to eat them (there are, some exceptions and special rabbits that are quite bold but its not a norm). They much prefer to sit on the ground or lap or other firm surface to be petted or stroked :) I hope all goes well, and maybe some one else will have more pointers. I would look for a health check page or health check for showing on google you can skim/read over and maybe get a better idea of what you want to go through (and in case I missed some thing). Even though its a "show" list, will cover basics for a good healthy rabbit in general and list some of the faults/dq's/possible issues you may come across.

I know when I go to look at a rabbit, I watch to see how the owner interacts/picks up. Then watch them show me the rabbit. I then hold/check them over myself starting with eyes. Eyes should be clear and bring, no drain or funky stuff going on. Then look up nose and make sure no snot/debris is there (even clear discharge is a sale killer for me even though I know it could be water or just where they are hot if it is very hot). Then I look at teeth, always top over bottom and should be straight with no jagged edges. I even go so far as to check along the jaw (feel with fingers) for any bumps, warmth, or tenderness for possible teeth issues. Then look into ears for any issues there, feel them to make sure there are no bumps. Some times there will be scars, and that's OK...things happen. I run my hands over the rabbit and again check for any issues that feel off (bumps, sore spots, bones feeling odd). I flip the rabbit over or have help, do the same with this side. I also gently stretch the legs, make sure they are straight and feel them to make sure there is no heat in the pad area or bumps/odd bone feelings. Then check sex, make sure genitals are clean and scent gland is OK. I then check the tail to make sure it is straight or in case of an accident where the tail is broken (some times it happens) I make sure that its OK and not a fresh break or there are any bumps/soreness to it. I then set the rabbit up and look at confirmation. I really should've put all that in first reply...but I get excited still about looking at rabbits, even if they aren't ones I am looking at lol. That and this is second nature to me, so I don't "think" about doing it, I just do it when I look at rabbits.

He may not like being checked over, may struggle so have to keep firm but careful hand. May need some to help, always better to have 2 sets of eyes instead of one :)

Wow! This is great!! Thanks again! I'm so glad you saw my question and took the time to share your thoughts on this. Hopefully it works out... :x I think he's pretty stinkin cute!

:)

I sell bunnies on CL on occasion, especially retired show/breeding rabbits for pets, and have met some nice breeders that way. I hope it works out for you.

skysthelimit":12bop607 said:
:)

I sell bunnies on CL on occasion, especially retired show/breeding rabbits for pets, and have met some nice breeders that way. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks! Me too! Going to check him out this week :D :D :D

Back