Third time she's absorbed...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Ok so I want ya'll to know that none of this was really my fault it's all just stuff that keeps happening >3<. Ok so her first litter was at about one year old and she had 9 or 10? I can't really remember. Then her second litter was after I moved out of my dad's and into my moms I didn't know she was pregnant so she absorbed majority of the babies and the two she had died, one was DOA, and the other accidentally got suffocated in the dryer by my oh so lovely step-dad. Now since I've moved she's been bred twice. First time she absorbed them all and even built a nest a day 30 but no babies *The reason for absorbing was the hutch tipped over in the wind when it was really bad* Now I'm waiting to see if she has any but I don't think she will since it's day 31 and there's nothing but I'm holding hope. The reason for the absorption this time would be my fiance and his step-dad asked if I wanted them to move the hutches into the new spot which wouldn't be directly in all the weather, my exact answer to their question was "I don't mind if you do but I'd prefer you let me know when you do, I gotta do a few things before you move them, and I'd like to take two of the does in and put them in separate places with a person" *I.e. in a room with an adult* They were like yeah yeah we understand. When I went out all my water bottles and bowls were on the ground and my pregnant doe was in a tote. A plastic tote which is apparently ok according to them because she could still breathe... Anyway my question. Could she still have kits or is she ruined?

I had a friend who had a doe absorb kits very late into pregnancy (like right when they were due) more than once and she did eventually have a litter so I think you could still get a litter out of her if you can keep her happy long enough. haha.

I think she just needs to stay right in the cage she's in with no changes at all. Maybe that's what needs to be done. She's had one so I know she can...

How do you know she absorbed? She may have just had the 2 that time, and she might not have "taken". Make sure she isn't fat, internal fat can cause them to not get pregnant. And they can have false pregnancies.

oakhollow":313ezo27 said:
How do you know she absorbed? She may have just had the 2 that time, and she might not have "taken". Make sure she isn't fat, internal fat can cause them to not get pregnant. And they can have false pregnancies.

She ain't fat. I have a fat buck.. Fat is like all squishy and jank, when I've felt of her belly it's been round and hard as a brick.. Plus when I've felt of her at about 12 days I could feel things bigger than poop pellets... Plus her nipples were full of milk... I have two does in one hutch but it's split with a board in the middle so they can't even see each other *I plan to replace this with wire even though they aren't trying to chew it... I just don't care for the hutch setup* Their names are Buttons and Butterball *Pics Below* Butterball had two babies although that could've just been all she had.. I feel like Buttons absorbed because like I said when you felt of her she was round and hard, plus she pulled fur at 31 days.. I don't think she absorbed this last time because she never nested I think what would've been the third time was just her not taking but she had the round hard belly again yet no babies... Both have had babies before Buttons has had 9 and it was her first litter and Butterball had 5... So Butterball could've very likely had a small litter. However my reason for believing absorption from the girls was caused by their hutch falling over on a very windy day... They have since been moved and precautions have been taken to prevent it from happening again. Like the tarp behind them on the fence and the tie-down.

-- PMpTue, 31 May 2016 13:17:39 +000017Tuesday 29, 2016 12:58p.05 --

Buttons 3.jpg
Butterball 1.jpg
Here are Butterball's two little girls which I initially thought were a girl and a boy so we decided to call the Max and Ruby, but recently I noticed she's a girl :lol: ... So Maxine and Ruby... Going to the farmers market Saturday :3
13288437_115238822228299_1435902164_o.jpg <br /><br /> -- PMpTue, 31 May 2016 13:37:34 +000037Tuesday 29, 2016 12:58p.05 -- <br /><br /> Also they are big girls like wide wise.. They look fat and I often times have thought they were but if I cut back on food and then they start getting boney

They are cute! Sounds like you have good reason to believe they were absorbed, and that may be the case, but I still believe that its possible something else could be going on too. Probably a handful of things. False pregnancy can also cause enlarged teats, may even milk production (although I havent seen that specifically)....

We had a doe that looked lean and there was no way she was fat. However, after 6 months of trying she would not take and she went into the stew pot. I was shocked while dressing out to find her internal organs were just padded with fat globs. She didn't show it but she was loaded with fat and I'm certain that's why we didn't get kits from her.

Well she's had kits before but that's been about a year.. But it's also been relatively same length for the other doe that had two kits... I really do feel like they were both pregnant and the one absorbed all, while the other absorbed all but two... I think her last pregnancy was a false on because she built a nest on day 34 like look lady is this what you want? Are you happy now? XD. But I've re-bred her again since so I'll be putting her back in with the buck today. May I add he got her like 5 times in a matter of like 30 minutes the other day.. I was quite shocked because he's a big boy but I guess the nice cool weather throughout the day just had him full of energy XD.

No need to get defensive. When you ask a question you need to expect a variety of answers based on different experiences even if they aren't the answers you are looking for.

I don't think OP was coming off as offensive at all?
My only meat doe is very obese (the Belgian hares and tans are picky, but she eats everything, so she is pretty much our composter). And she gave 11 healthy babies recently. She's always given litters too so I don't know why a fat doe would be hard to get pregnant, it is just impossible to palpate them properly. But that's just my experience.
I don't know how common it is for a doe to be prone to absorbing kits but I don't doubt it at all.

I wasn't getting defensive and if it sounded like I was I'm very sorry.. She might be fat inside and I just don't know it but I really think she's just very stress sensitive. When you get her out of her cage her eyes bulge out and her heart starts racing. It's all because she lived with my dad for a while my my two younger half siblings were not too nice to her. She doesn't look fat, just wide, and I can feel her insides rather well imo.. I'm not trying to be snappy just descriptive. I've had an infection on the very inside of my leg from where I was kicked by a goat, so I've not felt the best the past few days

She has had about two more chances than I would have given her. Dogs would be eating rabbit at my house...

Lol well she's a pet. She was my second rabbit and was intended to be a pet.. She's a weird rabbit she's like very sketchy of everyone.. She's a sweet doe though and her babies are always wonderful and sweet they don't seem to take on her skittishness... I think she's over stressing when we move her but that's ok because she won't be being moved anymore. So I've rebred her and really need to put her back with the buck tomorrow. Hopefully my other doe took so babies should be soon?

Back