thinking about trying a colony....need help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey everyone,

im thinking of trying a colony instead of all my separate cages and runs but i have no idea where to start or what size of space i would need for my bunch of rabbits.

so im looking for any help on what kinds of pens are great and the shelters and feeding trays i would need...and so on and so forth!

additional info:

i currently have 10 rabbits plus i have bought 5 more that haven't been delivered yet.

The smallest pen I would keep 15 breeding meat rabbits (8-12lb) in is 15x20.

Have you read prior posts on the pros and cons of colony breeding?

I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I would recommend colony-breeding, but not keeping the buck with the does. I've found they don't get preggers with a buck there..I have no idea why. Or they may get preggers too frequently which is pobably worse.

Divide the does in groups of 2,4 or 6 (or possibly larger even numbers) as they tend to bond in pairs within the group and if there's 3 or 5 rabbits one may be left out and bullied, and then give them time and chance to sort things out, but be prepared to re-arrange the groups if you find that some does hate each other or bully each other.

I recommend any pen that's safe. As in covered with wire or concrete all over, not letting rats or other predators in to kill kits. As for size, the most common I've heard is 12x12' for 4 does. I keep mine in pairs.

A nesting tunnel for each doe, lots of hideouts and different feeding and watering trays help reduce fighting. Use generously with bedding or a fairly thin layer but adding fresh straw/shaings as needed in potty cornesr (can be every day), muck it out weekly.

Read the other threads about colonies. Rabbits can fight, getting a functional group or pair can take some effort. I havn't found it to be too hard though. There is an increased risk of cocci and other nastyness, usig lime or Stalosan helps reduce the risk, as well as frequent cleaning and keeping the surface dry.
I don't quite see all the troubles and problems wioth colonies that some people point out.. Sure, I've had some periods with problems, but not that many start out and get everything right and working rom day one, no matter the method.

I see the benefits on the rabbits part, being able to move and have a social life. Our responsibility in a colony is to make sure not to match rabbits that doesn't like each other. They're individuals and some doesn't go together.
Perhaps you want to make a temporary pen somewhere just to see if they'll be okay in a group.

Latest posts

Back