The strangest thing...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So, where I live we get lots of poor people at our gate asking for food, which we give them. This one teenage boy comes often, and has worked in the garden a couple times. He has brought his pet dogs before, and tried to sell us a puppy once(we said no of course). Well today, he shows up with a white rabbit! It was obviously domestic because of this, and seemed quite tame. He said he found it in the bush by the beach, trapped :? Who knows where it was really from. I was willing to take it, in case it was someone's lost pet, and find it a home, but then he said he was selling it for 100 rand! That's about $10, which in my area, is the price of a well bred, purebred Dwarf rabbit, not a crossbreed found off the streets. Nope. We ended up leaving it, cause I didn't really have space to put it and I didn't want to buy it. You just never know what you're going to see :roll:

Escaped or stolen white meat rabbits ( the white new zealands) are not uncommon here. We had one for awhile as kids. My mom found him in the ditch and couldn't stand to return him knowing what the nearest person with such rabbits raised them for. Maybe not the right thing to do since sometimes such an animal can turn out to be valuable breeding stock but if you've never been part of raising anything for food it's hard to turn back over a cute rabbit to probably die.

It sounds like this boy may be a good eye out there for you. I bet you he can come across any number of things if he knew what you were looking for, although the means by which he obtains them, you may leave unasked.

Our culture is a bit different, and although I do have poor people and homeless people that live in an encampment behind our grocery store, they almost never ask for food, just money. I don't give money, but I will buy food. In my area, a mining town, some can barter with incredibly wonderful mineral finds, but again, they're not obtained legally, so I have to pass. :(

It used to be pretty standard to see people around with signs and we've given leftover food to people but the 3 big towns in the area must have decided they didn't like the view. They all disappeared overnight and if you see someone asking for food or money now the police won't take long to get there. I'm not sure if they actually helped any of those people or just confined them away to the places people talk about being populated with the homeless but you can't find anyone who has been there.

I begged to buy it as I didn't want it to get hurt or eaten ( I am not against meat rabbits I just don't like it. I do not mean to offend those who do breed rabbits for meat or eat it.) But of course my mom and dad said no...who buys a rabbit from the bush for 100 rand?!
I am still confused how he had found that rabbit and let's just hope some poor child's pet wasn't stolen. He could've found it in the bush by the beach like he said, he could've stolen it, he could've gotten it from someone else. No one will ever know.

Back