Register

The runts

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Re: The runts

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:13 pm

We just went through a litter with a runt. I did not hand feed formula, but I did give it an extra solo feeding a day with the doe, using the "doe in the lap" method.

The kits are 4 1/2 weeks old now, growing like mad. The runt is still a bit smaller, but not much, and is making huge weekly weight gains. The solo feedings stopped after a week or so, and it is doing well.

Richard & Tresa wrote:(Weird... we put our hearts and souls into these little creatures, doing the best to take care of them... and then we eat them! lol! (my dark side)

Here at RT, I think NOT doing that would be weird :)
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

We have intervened on quite a few runts ourselves. We've actually lost very few of them. We've had two like you describe... they never grew. They furred out, but never grew, and eventually died. One after two weeks, the other a little earlier. I just figure they had some sort of abnormality, because we've supplemented our share of runts, and they usually catch up eventually. And then they go to freezer camp with their siblings.

Some breeders put their runts down, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's all a matter of your goals, your available time, your choices. :)

Richard & Tresa wrote:(Weird... we put our hearts and souls into these little creatures, doing the best to take care of them... and then we eat them! lol! (my dark side)

Marinea wrote:Here at RT, I think NOT doing that would be weird :)

:yeahthat:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,885.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Zass » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:18 pm

:yeahthat: I just want to agree with everyone else. :D

Also, this one was born 1/2 sized, but into a litter of only 4 kits.

I didn't do anything to supplement.
This baby isn't just fed...it's...obese!

I don't see any reason to routinely cull every runt that appears.
Attachments
GEDC9876.JPG
GEDC9876.JPG (212.21 KiB) Viewed 801 times

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,483.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby squidpop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Its hard not to want the runts to live. Helping the runts live I think is all about rooting for the underdog, and hoping it will rise up against all odds. Plus they're :) so cute!

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 am

Zass wrote:This baby isn't just fed...it's...obese!

WOW! What a chunk! :lol:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Previous