The does are getting even better!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been saying that I want to add a French Doe into my breeding because of the fineness of the fiber..lack of guard hairs...and I'm learning something now.....WAIT until the animals grow up to a full year before deciding.

While the first 2 sheds were VERY fine, and few guardhairs....all three girls now have sufficient (not many) guard hairs to keep them from tangling.

I just finished plucking Vienna, who, I am ashamed to say, hasn't been groomed in a couple of weeks. She had a few matts starting on the back sides of her hind legs..but they combed out just fine. BUT...there was NO matting anywhere on her body. It's just....wonderful.

now, CHUCK, on the other hand...only a month younger...I really have to detangle him at least weekly or I'll have trouble. 2x a week is better.

I managed to hold onto Chocolate Bunny long enough to check her out and give her a quick groom..and she's the same. No tangles anywhere. FLB as even more guard hairs than either of the others, so I expect no problems when we get to her next shed.

At any rate...I'm still going to add a French doe to the mix, and possibly a buck so I can do one litter of purebreds every so often, but for now...happy dance! :bananadance2: I AM going to keep one from this current litter to see how the cross is going...Might keep 2..one that shows more french, and one that shows more english.

I know absolutely nothing about Angoras....
But whaterver you're speaking of sounds good....so I hope things keep going your way.

Me? I'm thinking about starting a shelter for misplaced coons, possums and yellow jackets. They are endagered species in the arctic.

Back