Kimi's broken arm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
so dunno if all of you know, this week has been pretty awful for me. Short story is:
- I lost 7 of my 5 weeks old kits,
- had to go to the vet wich is rly expensive here,
- had to work an extra day cause of the vet visit and thats rly bad for my health,
- annnnnnnd.... I broke my arm today :( I sat on the wood pile to rest after shovelling the rabbit's manure and the pile fell appart. I fell 4 foot high onto rocks.

when its not 1 thing its another huh? now I have to go on sick leave from my new job after only a month working there and my dad will have to help me care for the bunnies for a while sigh.

Edited the thread title to something I felt suited it better now

Oh my goodness Kimitsu!! :O I am so terribly sorry about this bad vein of luck you've ran into, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :( Wish the world was a little bit of a smaller place and I'd bring you some homemade turkey soup I just whipped up with some hearty turkey stock. May not have the same effect on broken bones as it does colds, but it's still good for the soul.

Hang in there Kimitsu

The bad days are there to strengthen us and make the good times that much brighter....
You are not alone... your dad can help

I FEEL your pain re: vet $$$$$
We pay ridiculous $$ for a vet in Canada... wish there was a pet health care insurance... covered yearly physicals and emergency visits!!!
Someone should get on that... lol

Things have GOT to get better, but so sorry to hear about your awful week. I hope things quickly start looking up and you recoup and recover.

2CrazyFools":mg0kkkd2 said:
Oh my goodness Kimitsu!! :O I am so terribly sorry about this bad vein of luck you've ran into, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :( Wish the world was a little bit of a smaller place and I'd bring you some homemade turkey soup I just whipped up with some hearty turkey stock. May not have the same effect on broken bones as it does colds, but it's still good for the soul.
such a soup would be awesome right now, maybe I'll get dad to make one for me. Btw I think Mei made it through, she's the only one I managed to save though. Also that potential astrex still feels weird so I hope to get pics soonish to show you. I'll do so in your thread if you don't mind, that way we can have just 1 astrex project themed thread.

SarniaTricia":mg0kkkd2 said:
Hang in there Kimitsu

The bad days are there to strengthen us and make the good times that much brighter....
You are not alone... your dad can help

I FEEL your pain re: vet $$$$$
We pay ridiculous $$ for a vet in Canada... wish there was a pet health care insurance... covered yearly physicals and emergency visits!!!
Someone should get on that... lol
My dad hates caring for the rabbits, asked him to give em water yesterday cause I was still in too much pain and he came back in super mad saying to never ask him to do that again sigh. It's just water in bottles, what could be so horrible about it?
As for the vet fees, I figured you'd have the same issue too. Canada is mean to rabbit breeders right?

thanks everyone, at least it's just the forearm, it couldve been the wrist or worse.

It will get better... good thing you live in Canada... that broken arm could have been a serious $$ issue in the US (depending on your level of insurance coverage of course!)

You will get through this...
Good time to really look at your herd and see if you are headed in the right direction or need to start culling....

Some news on my arm.....
right now I'm doing something I definetly should not be doing x.x
So it's been over a week now since I broke my arm, tomorrow I get my real plaster, but thing is a few days ago one of my bunnies peed on me and the pee went in the cotton between my plaster and my skin. So I had to remove it to clean out the contaminated cotton. I used a piece of soft cloth as replacement padding.
I was pretty good in respecting the "do not take this off" rule other then that one instance wich was justified I think.

But tonight, my skin and my arm were feeling horrible, it's not the bone that's hurting, it's the muscles around the wrist and elbow getting bruised by the plaster forcing my arm into a position it's not liking and my skin getting raw from irritation and lack of bloodflow. This was happening even before I had to change out the cotton so I don't think it's my fault, it was actually worse before on the skin cause it was too thight and my hand was getting swollen from lack of blood. When I remade it I made it a bit looser so my hand's better now, but the elbow and wrist.... those are held at a constant position with the temp plaster and it hurt now x.x

So tonight I said screw this and took it off, it's been hours and I still feel cramps and my skin still feels awfull even though I applied hydrating cream sigh, but what hurts is completly unrelated to the break. Actually the bone break area doesnt hurt at all as long as I move my arm slowly and without pressure. The rest though.... wich was caused by the plaster, ouch x.x
So I know I'll have to put it back on, cause I cant risk sleeping without it or pretty much doing anything without it for risk of hitting myself or forcing the bone too much, but while I'm resting at the computer having no plaster on feels much better for my arm. I'm just dreading having to put it back on T.T
I hope when they check it tomorrow the xrays show progress enough that maybe I wont need a full plaster? cause so far my arm in is worse shape cause of it I feel and with a full plaster I wont be able to remove it and let my skin breathe like this., I sware it's so raw it looks like I have a sunburn.
Is this normal or am I having a reaction of some kind?

Right now I'm craving a bath without the plaster too, but its 3am and dad would kill me and a shower would be too risky in case I fell or something.

__________ Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:02 am __________

k so I just went ahead and washed up and I washed my arm and OMG my skin feels like it's back to life! Now I'm guessing the pain I was feeling on my skin (kindof like an itchy sunburn you just cant scratch cause it hurts like hell if you do) was caused by lack of cleaning due to the plaster being there. Now I'm wayyyyy more worried about getting the real plaster that I wont be able to remove D:

__________ Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:56 am __________

Ok so I just tried putting it back on to get some sleep and my skin started screaming fire withing seconds.... I think I might know a bit more whats going on. I am allergic to wool, and while I know medical stuff is 100% cotton, normally anyways, the fact is that's it's giving me a similar reaction as when my wool allergies act up tell me that either this one wasnt 100% cotton or that sweat or something accumulated in the fibers in the last week and is causing me a similar reaction since I have sensitive skin. When I touch wool (sheep or alpaca wool), I have to wash the skin that was in contact with it for a few minutes before the fire finally calms down. This explains why washing helped earlier and now as I just had to wash my arm again. Either way I think before now I was able to tolerate it since is was minor next to the pain but now it's driving me crazy, so I'm gonna try to nap without it for now and in the morning I'll talk with my dad's girlfriend (ex-nurse) about it. Most likelly I'll have to discuss the matter tomorrow cause if that "real" plaster will be on my arm for a month or more I'd rather gnaw my arm off I think.

I'm not allergic to rabbit wool btw, just the other kinds. Although I've never had anything knitted with angora fur. I know it's a bit weird, I'm a seamstress who's allergic to wool, but I just dont say anything to my boss and put up with the fire on my skin when I have to. It's not that easy though when you want to rip your own skin off though, but it'd look bad if I was picky and said "Can you give the wool materials to the other girls? I'm allergic"
I'd really like to have some nice knitted fabrics to sew clothes with though. You just can't really buy those or there's not many options for em especially since it cant be made with wool in my case. Maybe 1 day I'll get into knitting when I finally get my english angora. I tried knitting with cotton tread before but got bored rly fast. If I got serious about wanting knitted fabrics, I'd rather buy a knitting machine I think. For now I might just spin the wool for the angora when I have it and sent it to my aunt, she likes knitting. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:04 pm __________ <br /><br /> And so I have my full plaster on now, they added a sock thing before the plaster this time and so far it helps, still itchy but no "fire" on my skin. I'll have it till july 31st minimum sigh.

I'm having a friend, Elie, come over to help me out for a while, theres too many things I need my arm to do that needs to be done so he'll do them for me. That way I can avoid straining my relationship with my dad cause I'll be a bit more "independant" since I'll rely on Elie insted of him. Elie is a rly rly nice and intelligent guy, but since he's a bit different mentally he is struggling to find a place in life. I feel bad for him, as long as you explain things well and give him enough time he'll do everything perfectly, but not many employers are willing to give him that chance. Not sure how long he'll stay here, but he's an angel to agree to come spend some time here to help me out. Heck I cant even manage my own hair right now.... I raise lionhead rabbits but I have a lionmane bigger then any of em.

Hopefully your arm will heal without impairment from any allergies/itchiness, etc. Just take it easy and get better soon!
Also I can totally relate to you with the Dad thing, lol. I love my dad to bits but he's just NOT an animal person.
If there's any advice I can give you, it's just trust your body. If something hurts DO NOT do it, unless advised by a doctor to do so (for instance, if they gave you exercises, do those, but don't go lifting anything :) My brother broke his ankle in a sledding accident and what prevented his healing the most was that he was completely unwilling to rest. He wanted to keep working. Kudos to him (and you) for a great working ethic, but in the long run, the more you set back your healing by not giving your arm the rest it needs to heal, that's a lot less you'll get done. Hugs!
-Dutchess

The_Dutchess":hjxym0gs said:
My brother broke his ankle in a sledding accident and what prevented his healing the most was that he was completely unwilling to rest. He wanted to keep working. Kudos to him (and you) for a great working ethic, but in the long run, the more you set back your healing by not giving your arm the rest it needs to heal, that's a lot less you'll get done. Hugs!
-Dutchess
Yeah it's why I'm getting my friend to come over. This way he can do the stuff I cant and my bunnies, my cats, my room, etc. wont be neglected.

__________ Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm __________

So today I went for the third checkup. My arm seems to be healing fine. I had to cut off the section of the cast that was on the palm of my hand though. It smelled so bad I was getting day long nausea. Good thing is without that part not only is the smell basically gone but I can drive! So I'm a bit more independant thanks to that. I didn't remove any support from the cast and my arm is still straight and I still can't turn it. So it's all good. My next appointment is on the 31st and they'll remove the cast then, though I'll probly wont be out of the woods yet. Everyone says I'll have to go through rehab for my wrist :(

My friend has left and it was about time, he's an angel for having helped me so much cleaning the cages and the manure. Thing is, he's a bit mentally challenged, very intelligent guy and rly nice but his though process is slow and he needs to understand every single details of everything or he gets upset easilly. No matter how much I apreciate his help I can't help but get tired walking on eggs 24/7. Especially since, even if I was super careful to be rly nice to him, he'd cry over him taking my tone wrong when saying basic stuff like "the grocerie store is at the corner of the red light once we reach town" apenrently "the way I said it" made him feel like I was saying he was dumb for not knowing? sigh It was just time for him to go at that point I felt. BUT! My rabbits and I are eternally gratefull he cleaned their cages wich were getting moldy cause of all the rains latelly. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> So I kept it as long as I could but even if I just had 1 week left I couldnt wait anymore so I took off the cast. I'll wear a harness thing so I'll be fine but look at the state of my skin T.T there was even some blood in the cast materials. :cry: So tonight is green clay and hydrating creams for me.

29vcxh3.jpg

Back