thanks for tips about tums and lavender

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Last week Kittery kindled her 2nd litter at 32 days out from breeding. She had 8 live and one dead and stretched. And we noticed that she seemed about to kindle from the day before, seemed uncomfortable or restless. So when we found the stretched kit we figured maybe one had gotten stuck. This week Limerick was due, her second litter. Pulled lots of fur on day 31 (although she wouldn't put it in the nest box nor leave it there when we put it there). Again she behaved as we've seen does act when about to kindle but no kits. So yesterday afternoon, day 32, I checked back here to refresh my memory about giving lavender to induce labor. Found it and also suggestions for giving a tums and another suggestion to give parsley. Since I had all 3, lavender just coming into bloom, I took one tums and a few sprigs each of the herbs and put them in her empty grain feeder. She gobbled them up and when we checked back a couple hours later she had 9 kits on the wire. So thanks for those who provided the advice--if we'd waited and she had kindled at night we would have lost some of them if not all. But it was warm daytime and we found them when a couple were just a little cool and all fine this morning.
Another time I'll feel more confident about using these in a similar situation. If anyone has any knowledge of using any of the 3 after day 31 having a negative effect I hope they'll speak up. Meantime here are pics of the 2 litters--one hours old and the other 1 week.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 784
Rainey, It makes me feel good that you remembered in time to try out these simple remedies. I grew lavender but never had occasion to try it out. Calcium (TUMS) can be a life-saver. I remember a really dramatic account on the HT forum where the owner had pretty much figured she was going to lose the doe. The TUMS saved her. I know a lot less about parsley for pregnant does (I forget who posted that info) but it's packed with Vitamin A, among other things, and is a good food for buns in any case.

Super that your doe delivered safely. Thanks for the update.

~ Maggie

Latest posts

Back