Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1096  Unread postby HRHDi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:11 am

Hello! My husband and I are empty nesters who moved to VT about 1.5 years ago from Texas. We were lucky to find a little house on some acreage on which we can do all of those things we wanted to do when we lived in the suburbs. We have a little hobby almost-farm with chickens and bees and acres of wild berries, maples trees, and a some elderberries. We've been toying with the idea of getting rabbits for a couple years and have finally decided to get started. Luckily, I'm a housewife so I'll have time to get everything set up and established.

I'm going to have tons of questions. I haven't made a final decision on whether we should start with meat rabbits or fiber rabbits. I'd love to have both and probably will eventually, but I don't want to get too much too soon. I'm a bit of a fiber craft addict - knitting, crocheting, spinning, quilting, felting, etc. - so the thought of that lovely angora of my very own is sooooo tempting. However, I grew up on a farm and the thought of producing even some of our own meat has it's own satisfaction. So, obviously, that's going to be the first decision.

Can't wait to get started. I've already seen so much good information!

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,676.00

Post Number:#1097  Unread postby Nymphadora » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm

:welcome:

HRHDi wrote:We have a little hobby almost-farm with chickens and bees and acres of wild berries, maples trees, and a some elderberries. We've been toying with the idea of getting rabbits for a couple years and have finally decided to get started.

Congrats on the excellent use of your "empty nest"! It sounds like a little slice of heaven.

Have you considered having a small herd of "meat" rabbits and just one or two Angoras as "pets with benefits"? I haven’t started my herd yet, myself, but I recently took up spinning and am enjoying it greatly. I would love to have some home-grown homespun eventually, too, but keeping a large number of Angoras seems particularly tricky/time-consuming, and unfortunately I don’t think I’d have the time to keep more than one or two properly. Maybe such a solution could work for your situation as well?

Looking forward to reading more about your rabbit-keeping endeavors! :D

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
HRHDi

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,061.00

Post Number:#1098  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 pm

HRHDi wrote:Hello! My husband and I are empty nesters who moved to VT about 1.5 years ago from Texas. We were lucky to find a little house on some acreage on which we can do all of those things we wanted to do when we lived in the suburbs. We have a little hobby almost-farm with chickens and bees and acres of wild berries, maples trees, and a some elderberries. We've been toying with the idea of getting rabbits for a couple years and have finally decided to get started. Luckily, I'm a housewife so I'll have time to get everything set up and established.

I'm going to have tons of questions. I haven't made a final decision on whether we should start with meat rabbits or fiber rabbits. I'd love to have both and probably will eventually, but I don't want to get too much too soon. I'm a bit of a fiber craft addict - knitting, crocheting, spinning, quilting, felting, etc. - so the thought of that lovely angora of my very own is sooooo tempting. However, I grew up on a farm and the thought of producing even some of our own meat has it's own satisfaction. So, obviously, that's going to be the first decision.

Can't wait to get started. I've already seen so much good information!

Angora's have litters also, and the larger breeds grow well , especially under a Cali, or New Zealand buck. so -- maybe you can "have your cake and eat it too" ...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,551.00

Post Number:#1099  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:46 am

HRHDi,
I thought I would get a couple Angora, for fiber, and then focus on a meat rabbit. You can even find my posts from last year saying "I'll only get three, tops". I now have 6 senior does and 3 senior bucks, and a cute little junior and litters on the way.... And I wouldn't have it any other way. I have found that between their care and spinning, (and showing) I am just as pleased as punch with my little fiber farm. The meat rabbits, I don't know if I'll ever get to them.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 45.00

Post Number:#1100  Unread postby AlishaBee » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi!
I'm Alisha from the GTA Ontario. We began with four male Harlies as a test-drive foray into the Rabbiting World.
After finding that we can feed them mainly on our green scraps from our property, we found the idea of raising rabbits even more appealing. Couple that with self-sufficiency in a meat source and my lifelong desire to have ALL the rabbit fur, I am in love with my life.
This past fall, we acquired our breeding trio. Thomas: a Checkered NZ buck, Annie: also a NZ and Clarabelle: a Chocolate Satin X.
This weekend we welcomed our first kindles! Annie threw eight beautiful kits and two stills. Clarabelle threw seven, her runt passing on Day 6 from being dragged in the night and chilling. Despite trying my hardest to revive and warm it, up to and including keeping it in my bra, it was in vain hope. I learned quickly that loss is oft the name of the game.
So we currently have fourteen beauties, getting fatter and cuter by the day, and I cannot wait to continue this journey.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to the value of this deep well of information. I have been lurking and drinking deeply here since I first got the glint in my eye and said "it's go time." This has been my primary resource for self-education and I certainly appreciate the wisdom of "tried-and-true" and "tried-and-failed" you have all come to contribute over the years.

I have come to glean all the knowledge I can cram into my melon and look forward to a bright and bountiful future.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#1101  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Welcome AlishaBee!!!

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,564.00

Post Number:#1102  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forum! -and congrats on the litters Alisha!

Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,551.00

Post Number:#1103  Unread postby SixGun » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:45 pm

Welcome Alisha. Glad to have met ya, :) Rabbits are wonderful, aren't they?

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#1104  Unread postby AnnClaire » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 am

OK, here's the problem with getting "just one" angora: they are like potato chips, ya can't have just one LOL I recommend the English Angora breed as IMHO, they are the "lap dogs" of the bunny world!!

Yes, their coat takes a bit more upkeep, but, I don't find it to be that much of a chore. I have a nice, big shop vac and an area outdoors where I can blow their coat out and groom them.

I also raise Silver Fox meat rabbits, which are a wonderful breed also.

Since I had such a large meat rabbit, I just built all my cages 24 x 30 x 24 inches for both. The only difference is in the size of the nest boxes ... the ones for the Angoras are 8.5 x 11 x 8.5 inches. Also, since I am in NW OK where winter temps can go below zero for weeks at a time (not every year, but often enough!), my nest boxes are made of plywood with a solid bottom.

Word of warning: quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!!! I would recommend that when you get any new rabbit home that you make up a vinegar/water solution and wipe the whole rabbit down between transport carrier and quarantine cage. It won't hurt the rabbit to lick afterwards and will remove some issues such as certain viruses and bacteria's.

I also recommend you find a cage pattern and make all your cages the same. In my rabbitry, all j-feeders are in the same spot which makes feeding easier!! I also use metal trays that hook to the wire for water. They are in the same spot and I can go down the line with a plastic garden watering jug and stick the spout through the wire to water. I also formed the piece of side cage wire I cut out for the door into a hay rack to hang on the side of the cage. When its below freezing, it makes a biiiiig difference on his long it takes to feed and water if I don't have to open cage doors!

Remember, rabbits are wearing FUR COATS and they actually enjoy colder weather as long as they have shelter from wind and moisture. In the winter I put a paper bag on the floor and a pile of hay on top of the bag. Some buns snuggle into the hay, others scatter it and shred the paper bag. For the ones that shred the bags, I give them a scrap piece of plywood or sheetrock.

The Angoras get straight on three-sided boxes as I don't want to have to pick all the hay out of their coats!!! LOL

Oh, and do make the boxes large enough for the buns to get on top as they like to lounge up high :)

I also have a line of grow out cages (24 x 24 x 18 inches) that are spaced just a couple of inches apart and I just stuff hay between the cages in the winter ... It also keeps the bucks from spraying each other!!! And when I say stuff, I mean stuff from front to back and top to bottom so it will keep the buns warm in the winter :D

Now, I have a breeder friend that swears that her buns actively look for ways to off themselves, and I have to agree somewhat. I have seen rabbits freak out for no apparent reason and break their back or neck hitting the wall! And no matter how many storms a rabbit has been through, I lightening hits too close, they can die. But in other cases, I have seen a whole line of cages get blown over and none of the buns was hurt!

Also, when it comes to butchering, will you be doing it? You might want to look into setting up a "station" ... mine is in one area of the yard (I am in a rural town) where I can hose it down when done. I also use a big bucket with plastic grocery bags to catch the offal. I then have to freeze them before disposing through the trash pickup. This won't be a concern for you, but you will want a method of disposing of the offal at your place. And any resident chickens, cats and dogs will want to browse through the offal! LOL It won't hurt them and the paws make great kitty toys! Some folks dry the ears for dog treats :)

__________Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 am ___________

OK, here's the problem with getting "just one" angora: they are like potato chips, ya can't have just one LOL I recommend the English Angora breed as IMHO, they are the "lap dogs" of the bunny world!!

Yes, their coat takes a bit more upkeep, but, I don't find it to be that much of a chore. I have a nice, big shop vac and an area outdoors where I can blow their coat out and groom them.

I also raise Silver Fox meat rabbits, which are a wonderful breed also.

Since I had such a large meat rabbit, I just built all my cages 24 x 30 x 24 inches for both. The only difference is in the size of the nest boxes ... the ones for the Angoras are 8.5 x 11 x 8.5 inches. Also, since I am in NW OK where winter temps can go below zero for weeks at a time (not every year, but often enough!), my nest boxes are made of plywood with a solid bottom.

Word of warning: quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!!! I would recommend that when you get any new rabbit home that you make up a vinegar/water solution and wipe the whole rabbit down between transport carrier and quarantine cage. It won't hurt the rabbit to lick afterwards and will remove some issues such as certain viruses and bacteria's.

I also recommend you find a cage pattern and make all your cages the same. In my rabbitry, all j-feeders are in the same spot which makes feeding easier!! I also use metal trays that hook to the wire for water. They are in the same spot and I can go down the line with a plastic garden watering jug and stick the spout through the wire to water. I also formed the piece of side cage wire I cut out for the door into a hay rack to hang on the side of the cage. When its below freezing, it makes a biiiiig difference on his long it takes to feed and water if I don't have to open cage doors!

Remember, rabbits are wearing FUR COATS and they actually enjoy colder weather as long as they have shelter from wind and moisture. In the winter I put a paper bag on the floor and a pile of hay on top of the bag. Some buns snuggle into the hay, others scatter it and shred the paper bag. For the ones that shred the bags, I give them a scrap piece of plywood or sheetrock.

The Angoras get straight on three-sided boxes as I don't want to have to pick all the hay out of their coats!!! LOL

Oh, and do make the boxes large enough for the buns to get on top as they like to lounge up high :)

I also have a line of grow out cages (24 x 24 x 18 inches) that are spaced just a couple of inches apart and I just stuff hay between the cages in the winter ... It also keeps the bucks from spraying each other!!! And when I say stuff, I mean stuff from front to back and top to bottom so it will keep the buns warm in the winter :D

Now, I have a breeder friend that swears that her buns actively look for ways to off themselves, and I have to agree somewhat. I have seen rabbits freak out for no apparent reason and break their back or neck hitting the wall! And no matter how many storms a rabbit has been through, I lightening hits too close, they can die. But in other cases, I have seen a whole line of cages get blown over and none of the buns was hurt!

Also, when it comes to butchering, will you be doing it? You might want to look into setting up a "station" ... mine is in one area of the yard (I am in a rural town) where I can hose it down when done. I also use a big bucket with plastic grocery bags to catch the offal. I then have to freeze them before disposing through the trash pickup. This won't be a concern for you, but you will want a method of disposing of the offal at your place. And any resident chickens, cats and dogs will want to browse through the offal! LOL It won't hurt them and the paws make great kitty toys! Some folks dry the ears for dog treats :)
cheers - AnnClaire

1 year of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#1105  Unread postby SFetzer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:34 am

Hi!

I'm Stacey, my husband and I have decided to change our life style and be as self sufficient as we can. So one skill at a time we are working to that. We have 3 girls ages 17, 11, 2. This year we started homeschooling and I'm kicking myself for not starting sooner (better late than never). We currently live in a tiny town in eastern Washington that as our luck would have it all animals other than dogs and cats are against city ordinance :evil: . As long as none of the neighbors complain they for the most part leave you alone. Because of that we have our rabbitry set up in the garage. Super expensive to vent and air-condition but so far we have been able to breed year round :D . I have been lurking on Rabbit Talk for a loooong time everyone here has been super helpful so THANK YOU!!! My first rabbit I did most everything wrong I was dog grooming when I got him from a co-worker (she found him in her yard getting friendly with her kitten). I took him with me every where my dogs went. He went to work with me and got a bath once a week ( :x with dog shampoo and I blow dried him). At home he had free range of the house and used a litter box (mostly) he was a great rabbit. Now we have an assortment of meat mutts. 1 palomino buck, 1 NZ/Cali buck, and a ??meat mutt doe off of criaigslist. Also 3 does from breeding them. I would love an angora or two but I'm going to have to wait until we move. I would like to say thank you again with all your unknowing support and advice I have been able to raise and harvest healthy meat for my family.

1 year of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 36.00

Post Number:#1106  Unread postby Aurora » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:27 pm

My fiance and I are new to rabbit keeping and breeding and have our first litter of nearly week-old kits! I had a few pet rabbits when I was a kid but this is a whole new experience. We're raising rabbits for meat and as pets. I have a few questions and in doing some searching I came across this board. It looks like a great place! :pancake:

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,676.00

Post Number:#1107  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Welcome to Rabbittalk, SFetzer and Aurora!
It's great to hear more people joining the movement, so to speak! ;)

SFetzer wrote:I'm Stacey, my husband and I have decided to change our life style and be as self sufficient as we can. So one skill at a time we are working to that ... We currently live in a tiny town in eastern Washington that as our luck would have it all animals other than dogs and cats are against city ordinance :evil:

Your drive to continue to push for self-reliance is impressive! I know the area we’re living in right now is very strict about just about any “livestock” animals (chickens, goats, etc.) but rabbits seem to fly under the radar here. At least I haven’t found any big restrictions in the laws. That said, I’m still in the setting up phase. But good for you guys! Congrats and good luck!
:gold-star:

Aurora wrote:I have a few questions and in doing some searching I came across this board. It looks like a great place!

It is! I've learned so much here, and everyone's pretty fantastic about sharing their knowledge!

Have a good look into the forums that interest you; never know what you might learn by doing some digging in the older posts, too. :dig-hole: :lilbunny:

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#1108  Unread postby quietsnooze » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello! I'm an artist and have a house bunny who's a double maned lionlop named Nosferatu. He's a diva and swears up a storm, but I love that troublemaker all the same! Nice to meet everyone!

BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#1109  Unread postby Sagebrush » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:04 am

Hello and welcome to Rabbit Talk!!

The following user would like to thank Sagebrush for this post
quietsnooze

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#1110  Unread postby Patty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Clyde came to me 5mos. ago. My daughter in law"s friend adopted him from a shelter. One month later she bought Clyde a 2 story hutch and found she was allergic to hay. I had just lost my Ringneck Dove 2wks prior. She was telling me she couldn't re-home him and was taking him back to the shelter. I was not ready to bring on another responsibility for I wasn't over my bird whom I had for 15yrs. I was very much in fear that the shelter would euthanize him for they house cats and dogs. I told her I would take him but she had to show me how to pick him up and hold him and what to feed him. His parents are white blue eyed but Clyde has a right blue eye and a left brown eye with a brown ring around eye and a Brown streak running inside left ear. I know eye color is heterochroma and Vienna markings. I would love to know his breed. I have mastered his needs and still learning more as I go. I love Clyde and feel so blessed to raise him. Rabbits are like puppies always wanting to play and get attention.

PreviousNext